obstruction -protected between bases?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 4, 2013
On base hit to outfield, runner rounds first and is obstrcted by first basemen. Umpire indicates obstrcution signal. Runner continues to 2nd base, with no chance of making it, and is thrown out by 20 feet. Is the runner still protected between bases, because of the obstruction, and could not be called out? If so, I think the proper procedure for the umpire is to call dead ball , and send the runner back to first?? (ASA & NFHS)

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It sounds like you have a good handle on the ruling. For ASA and NFHS, an obstructed runner cannot be put out between the two bases where the obstruct occured. If the runner is tagged out between the two bases, the ball is immediately dead. The umpire then places the runner on the base he judges would have been reached had she not been obstructed.

On your play, since the runner apparently would not have made it to second, she would be placed back on first base.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Obstruction (defense) is a delayed dead ball call. Interference (offense) is a dead ball call. As soon as the umpire signaled obstruction, the runner is protected between 1B and 2B UNLESS the runner then interferes with the defense somehow. If that happens, the obstruction call is waived and the runner is out.

Obstruction (defense) is a delayed dead ball call. Interference (offense) is a dead ball call. As soon as the umpire signaled obstruction, the runner is protected between 1B and 2B UNLESS the runner then interferes with the defense somehow. If that happens, the obstruction call is waived and the runner is out.

or if after being safe at second would try to proceed to third then she is no longer protected....that is the main reason it is not a dead ball the runner is free to continue running past the protected base at her own risk if you called a dead ball she would not get that chance.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
or if after being safe at second would try to proceed to third then she is no longer protected....that is the main reason it is not a dead ball the runner is free to continue running past the protected base at her own risk if you called a dead ball she would not get that chance.

or if returned to 1B and there was a play on another runner and then is thrown out attempting to reach 2B, there is no protection.

Jan 20, 2010
Anyone else have this happen???? At least 4 times in one game field umpire positioned between SS and 3rd obstructed the runner from potentially advancing more than one base. How do you ask an umpire for a ruling on that :)

Anyone else have this happen???? At least 4 times in one game field umpire positioned between SS and 3rd obstructed the runner from potentially advancing more than one base. How do you ask an umpire for a ruling on that :)

Well, I'm coaching third so the first time I see it I say, between batters so only the two of us and probably the third baseman can hear, "hey blue looks like those girls are running pretty fast out there today be careful don't want them to run you over". Second time "wow blue looks like might want to back up a little seems like it's kinda hard to get out of the way fast enough" and the third time, well things probably are not going to go to well we ask for time and walk down to the plate umpire and let him know we have asked nicely twice but his partner can't seem to keep himself out of the base path, to which he responds by politely asking me to go back to the coaches box and stay there. After time number four we simply put our head in our hands and stay in the coaches box and shut up and proceed to give the base umpire a nasty glare for the rest of the inning.

After the game of course I shake the umpires hand say good game, apologize for being such a stick in the mud about him being in the base line and move on, since next weekend at my next game luck will put him behind the plate.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Umpire should never be in that position, period.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors