Obstruction call this weekend - right or wrong?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Big Dave

Sitting on a bucket
Jan 11, 2013
Oregon
There was a play this weekend where obstruction was called but I'm not sure if it was correct or not.

Situation - Runners on 1st and 2nd, high bouncing ground ball between pitcher and SS. SS breaks to field ball and runner on 2 changes path to miss the SS, (no contact, I know that doesn't matter but just giving all details for you guys). Pitcher then takes a couple steps and fields the ball and throws to 3rd for the force out. Play wasn't close at 3. Umpire calls runner safe because of obstruction on the SS. Correct or not?

Not sure if it just comes down to timing on the play or what? If the obstruction occured before the pitcher had fielded the ball and the SS not knowing if she would field the ball, is it still obstruction? Or does it become obstruction since the ball was fielded by the pitcher? Thanks for the help guys!!

Jun 22, 2008
Only 1 fielder gets protection while fielding a batted ball. If 2 fielders are going for the same ball, the umpire has to make a judgement on who has the best chance of fielding it and that fielder is protected from being called for obstruction. In the play you have described, it actually became a very straight forward call when the pitcher fielded and threw to 3rd. The pitcher is the protected fielder and the SS would have to get out of the way of the runner. Sounds like the umpire made the correct call.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I agree with Comp.

I had a very similar play in a Men's FP game last year, only in my play F6 collided with the runner. The ball was a high bouncing chopper that the pitcher was waiting on to come down. The batter was pretty fast, so he managed to beat the throw to first. I'm kind of surprised we were able to keep all of the players in the game after all of the bitching and whining about that call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs