NPF issues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
The 2018 women's college world series, that had the Seattle TV market and involved teams from Florida and Washington had 1.5 million viewers.

The 2018 College World Series that had media mega centers Corvalis and Fayetteville, Oregon and Arkansas involved had a 3 game average of 1.9 million viewers and had a peak of over 3.1 million viewers

My math may be off a bit but both 1.9 and 3.1 are larger numbers than 1.5 last I checked.

Linky's
Women's College World Series Ratings Down in '18 - Sports Media Watch

https://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2018/06/30/2018-cws-tv-ratings-highest-since-2012/

But let's not those pesky facts get in the way, right?

Oh yeah, game 5 of the 2018 Stanley Cup Finals had 6.7 million viewers

I said "often", not every year and not peaks for each sport. To be fair, I should have specified that Softball playoffs are going up against NCAA Baseball regional s and NHL regular season. The point was people watch womens sports when they're televised. BTW, if we're comparing championships you left out the 2017 Womens basketball 3.8 mil viewers in 2017. I believe that would be twice as many as the 2018 NCAA Mens CWS you referenced.

Below is 2017 softball.
2017-06-05_ESPN.jpg

2017 NCAA Women Bball
https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-...-three-game-ncaa-womens-final-four-nearly-20/

NCAA Womens basketball 2017

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The 2018 women's college world series, that had the Seattle TV market and involved teams from Florida and Washington had 1.5 million viewers.

The 2018 College World Series that had media mega centers Corvalis and Fayetteville, Oregon and Arkansas involved had a 3 game average of 1.9 million viewers and had a peak of over 3.1 million viewers

My math may be off a bit but both 1.9 and 3.1 are larger numbers than 1.5 last I checked.

Linky's
Women's College World Series Ratings Down in '18 - Sports Media Watch

https://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2018/06/30/2018-cws-tv-ratings-highest-since-2012/

But let's not those pesky facts get in the way, right?

Oh yeah, game 5 of the 2018 Stanley Cup Finals had 6.7 million viewers

Every time you post, you prove one of two things (or both, if you're on your game): 1) You're a sexist and a misogynist or 2) baseball is more popular than softball. I realize #1 is just a character trait so we have to deal with it, but nobody is arguing against #2. Occasionally a women's sporting event will draw more eyes than the male version. Usually not. So what? Just because more people watch men's sports (for now) or prefer men's sports (for now) doesn't mean there is no market for women's sports. Should Pepsi shut it down because more people buy Coca-Cola? Because that's the argument you're making here.

Sep 3, 2018
I said "often", not every year and not peaks for each sport. To be fair, I should have specified that Softball playoffs are going up against NCAA Baseball regional s and NHL regular season. The point was people watch womens sports when they're televised. BTW, if we're comparing championships you left out the 2017 Womens basketball 3.8 mil viewers in 2017. I believe that would be twice as many as the 2018 NCAA Mens CWS you referenced.

Below is 2017 softball.
View attachment 13598

2017 NCAA Women Bball
https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-...-three-game-ncaa-womens-final-four-nearly-20/

NCAA Womens basketball 2017

The 2017 ncaa men's basketball championship was watched by 23 million viewers.

Not arguing that there is no place for girls sports but when you're dishonest about their viewership compared to the male versions, you're not helping the cause.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Ok everyone, time to take a breath. The topic is interesting on a lot of levels, but we're starting to get into the point of name-calling and that's just counter-productive. You can disagree with someone's position on an issue without attacking the person him/herself.

You also may not like the facts or the data, but that doesn't make them any less true. Doesn't mean it's the way things should be, or the way we would like them to be, but it's the way they currently are. The big question is how do you change it? What can be done to get more people interested in the NPF, or maybe even women's sports in general? And what are you willing to do personally to make it happen.

For example, if you have easy access to NPF games, are you willing to buy a season ticket to support the league - even if you can't (or don't want to) attend most of their games? Will you try to get your friends who don't have daughters in fastpitch softball to try to go with you to some games? What could the NPF do to make you more interested/willing to shell out your hard earned money to support them? Let's stick with those topics.

Jun 8, 2016
Ok everyone, time to take a breath. The topic is interesting on a lot of levels, but we're starting to get into the point of name-calling and that's just counter-productive. You can disagree with someone's position on an issue without attacking the person him/herself.
If you are going to censor the name-calling, which is fine and appropriate (my apologies), then perhaps you can censor the posts which have anti-XYZ agendas embedded in them as well.

Sep 3, 2018
There hasn't been any name calling censored, all of the name calling is still there. What was censored is the mention of what is happening in prep sports in certain regions of the country and how it is inevitable to spill in to softball at the prep and college levels in the near future plus how that may help the TV ratings

Buckle up cause here they come
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sHqiG_hrbsc&feature=youtu.be

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Java had a way to create a document out of a post... I have the drive mechanics one saved. Does anyone know how?

I’d love to take the “best” of this thread and share it with my softball social media community.
Yes - I would edit out the tit for tat posts.

Jul 14, 2018
Java had a way to create a document out of a post... I have the drive mechanics one saved. Does anyone know how?

I’d love to take the “best” of this thread and share it with my softball social media community.
Yes - I would edit out the tit for tat posts.

It's a little clunky, but --

Start by clicking the Thread Tools in the upper right corner and click 'Show Printable Version'
Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 2.28.21 PM.png

On the printable version, there's an option to show 40 posts:
Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 2.28.42 PM.png

You can then use your browser to print to a PDF, or copy and paste into a word doc. There's still three pages, not sure if it's possible to export to a single page.

Jun 29, 2013
For example, if you have easy access to NPF games, are you willing to buy a season ticket to support the league - even if you can't (or don't want to) attend most of their games? Will you try to get your friends who don't have daughters in fastpitch softball to try to go with you to some games? What could the NPF do to make you more interested/willing to shell out your hard earned money to support them? Let's stick with those topics.

Sure I would. I would ask anyone willing to go, offer them a beer if it worked as an inducement (at least once in a while, of course).
When the US national team played at our local minor league baseball stadium, the attendance was great, the place was filled with tons of softball players, their parents, etc. And this is a segway into what I would do to grow the sport: play more tournaments, move the game around the country, and get away from the baseball model where teams have a home stadium and play for two-three months straight. Softball thrives in the tournament setting, it's exciting, it moves fast, and you can get people to commit to a weekend or two around. Travel costs are going to be higher and it isn't easy to schedule for television, but it's not like television is a thriving market now and if you off-set the travel costs with increased revenue, then you're better off. Just my $.02, but I don't think doing the same thing is going to produce different results.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Same as @elkgrove. We live close enough to UCLA that we try to catch games when the schedule allows. It’s great fun!!!
Same when the World Cup was in SoCal. We’d go to as many NPF games as possible if they were closer.

What’s sad is that it’s easier for me to get SEC games on ESPN then to get access to PAC-12 games. Whole other issue there.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13