Not Using Hips - Video added

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2010
12 yo - Baseball batting cages @ 65 mph. Very lax in cages but will add "real" video this weekend after
games

Oct 12, 2009
12 yo - Baseball batting cages @ 65 mph. Very lax in cages but will add "real" video this weekend after
games

There are a whole bunch of problems here, including bat drag and dropping the hands.

Both of these are related to posture problems, and I would start there.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Risky camera work! Looking forward to game video... Can you give some insight into some of the intent behind the swing? What's the point of the early toe touch before the stride? What is the goal and/or what has been instructed with the hands? Why so lax in the cage?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would move her back in the box. (She is practically stepping out). Slow down the machine so that she can get some success.

She needs to build her stance from the ground up. Spread her feet out to at least shoulder width, turn the toes in a little, get some bounce in the knees and bend at the waist.

I know that is all pretty general, but she isn't putting much effort into it at this point.

I would pitch her a bucket of tennis balls and challenge her to hit me. Seriously. Either she didn't want to hit that day or she needs a fire built under her.

Try getting some game video of her and let me see her overhand throw.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
Id say feet need to be about 1.5 times the shoulder width.
I would move her back in the box. (She is practically stepping out). Slow down the machine so that she can get some success.

She needs to build her stance from the ground up. Spread her feet out to at least shoulder width, turn the toes in a little, get some bounce in the knees and bend at the waist.

I know that is all pretty general, but she isn't putting much effort into it at this point.

I would pitch her a bucket of tennis balls and challenge her to hit me. Seriously. Either she didn't want to hit that day or she needs a fire built under her.

Try getting some game video of her and let me see her overhand throw.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
back slapn

It appears her stance could be a lot more aggressive to start with. She needs to be in a loaded and ready position to hit the ball with a wide atheletic stance and her hands back. It seems like shes rolling her wrist and slapping her back instead of slotting through contact and then extending. Try a walk thru t-drill.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Catscratch -

Do you think it is possible that her slapping mechanics are carrying over to her normal swing? It kind of looks that way to me. I'm not a big fan of turning kids around from lefty to righty as it tends to confuse them. Just a thought...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA