Not Real athletes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Our hs coach makes the girls who play softball train with the track folks during the off season. She asked my dd to throw the round thing (not sure what it's called) for track. I explained to her that although I'm a huge fan of her's, I wouldn't be travelling 2+ hrs on any Saturday to sit through a track meet. She chose to just train with them. She did attend a track meet that we had at our school one Saturday. After about 30 minutes, she called ready to come home. BORING! Amy's idea about the t-shirt is great, too! I bet you can find a printer in your area who would give you a deal on them. I'd make sure I had some extras in case you can woo the "trackies" back to softball! :)

Dec 28, 2008
Before going any further ... is this track coach also the local sheriff? Does he also own the hardware store, the ice cream parlor and the only hotel in town? I think I saw this episode on A-Team one time. ;)

How can you call a girl who commits hours and hours to practice, to running on her own to build length strength and endurance, who does core training on her own to quicken her explosiveness and increase her power an athlete, who has to learn to produce her best while also supporting her team an athlete? Oh wait! That might be the very definition of an athlete.

I ran track in middle school, high school and college. NEVER did we work as hard as many girls travel teams that I work with these days. I never went to camp for an entire week in 100 degree temperatures to learn more about every facet of what I was doing. My coaches never brought experts in to work with us to raise us to a level he couldn't get us to like most teams do today.

What really frustrates me is that in this age of so much obesity in our children, why any coach of any sport would discourage children from competing and getting off of their couches. What a weak minded, self serving thing this other coach is doing much to the detriment of young ladies.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
About the track thing, I have a male friend who runs track. He qualified for regionals in his event (whatever it was). After he qualified there were still regular season meets going on. His coach told him that he didn't want him to run in them, he wanted him to take a break before districts and regionals. He told his coach that if he wasn't running, he wasn't going. He did not attend the rest of the regular season events that the coach would not let him run in for one reason alone--they are so BORING. Even the lure of getting out of school couldn't get him to attend the events.

May 8, 2009
Florida
Keep working on the younger girls. The better you develop the feeder programs the better the sport gets and the more girls will be involved. I coach at a private school and maybe get three of the girls from the town each year. But I am involved with that league and by staying with it maybe in a couple years I might get a few more. Even so, the area's program will get stronger. Funny, I was just talking to the head track coach last week and asked for her help in traing the softball girls on how to run properly, both sprinting and developing the explosive power of the jumpers.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Is a lard-rear 350 lb NFL lineman a real athlete?
Is a 7'+ "freak" in the NBA, a real athlete? Thats right, they are just physical freaks, with a height advantage due to the height of the goal.
Is an emaciated marathon runner a real athlete?

why or why not???

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Wait a second. What do track and field athletes do? They run, and they throw things. How is that different from softball players? Oh, yeah, some of them jump, but other than that...

On the other hand, softball players have to make decisions when they run (such as when TO run) and where to throw. It's a whole other level of athlete.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog