Not Real athletes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
Hear is a situation that I am dealing with.
In the area I live we have Little League Softball no ASA or other league because of geographic isolation mostly, but cost has some factor.

Now I have coached HS JV and LL. I am consentrating on LL trying to get girls to play fairly young. But I have one major obstacle. The middle school track coach tells all the girls that Softball is not really a sport . He also says that Softball players Are not real athletes.

He does every thing to discourage girls from softball. He has a leg up on me because he works at the school. These girls are impressionable and he does get a lot of them away from Softball.:mad:

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Wildman, I am saying this with all seriousness - move. Move before you are indoctrinated into all of this silliness.

I suppose baseball isn't a real sport, either?

Take a group of girls and go play ASA and don't look back.

May 25, 2010
I see it a bit differently. If you've got enough young girls and parents who are committed to growing softball in your area, I believe it can be done.

How can a middle school coach can have any measurable impact on your target group, girls aged 5-10?

How committed is the president or commissioner of your league? How many teams do you have each year in the younger levels?

Jun 13, 2010
I see it a bit differently. If you've got enough young girls and parents who are committed to growing softball in your area, I believe it can be done.

How can a middle school coach can have any measurable impact on your target group, girls aged 5-10?

How committed is the president or commissioner of your league? How many teams do you have each year in the younger levels?

First I have never ran from any thing in my life. I believe making good things happen can be done if I am more persistant than he is and I am a stubborn bastard.

Right now I have one group pretty well locked on they are a little old for their experiance level but I got them. I will win this

Oct 19, 2009
I think the way to win the girls over would be to take them to a track meet, make them sit in the bleachers and watch for the entire four hours (or more). I never had an interest in track whatsoever growing up but my son decided he was going out last year because a bunch of his football player friends were doing it.

As a parent it was torture. He was in three events and his stuff was over in like a minute but I had to sit there for four hours. Fortunately he didn't go again this year, he just works on football on his own (lost interest in baseball at 13 - real bummer for me).

At any rate, I know how short attention span you are dealing with. Making them suffer through a track meet ought to cure them of any desire to ever chose it over softball IMAO.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I was thinking that I would fight this "instigator" with money. Since you are talking rec league and helping the girls on your own, you can put some $$, into it. I would make sure that they had the coolest t-shirts and uniforms around.

I am sure that we can come up with something for the t-shirts. Maybe, Real athletes play softball.

Then, equip them with personalized ball bags and buy the best equipment, too. Have the coolest parties and hire the best coaches to come on for clinics.

Good luck.

Jun 13, 2010
I was thinking that I would fight this "instigator" with money. Since you are talking rec league and helping the girls on your own, you can put some $$, into it. I would make sure that they had the coolest t-shirts and uniforms around.

I am sure that we can come up with something for the t-shirts. Maybe, Real athletes play softball.

Then, equip them with personalized ball bags and buy the best equipment, too. Have the coolest parties and hire the best coaches to come on for clinics.

Good luck.

You see this is why we need women around, Amy your idea is great and I will do my best to use it.
The track meet idea is good too. After all punching the guys lights out would set a bad example.:cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207