Not fully funded college programs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
I know of a SB player (non-P, non-starter) played for an Ivy for a FOUR-year total of $8K. If financial aid will be a necessity, do not rule out the Ivies and well-endowed D3s because of the price tag if your kid has the academic chops.

just remember the Ivy League does not offer academic scholarships either. All aid is need based. Of course, with their endowments "need" has a much looser definition.

Oct 17, 2014
I think any type of list you put together would be absolutely irrelevant to the masses due to other financial factors and how much things change year to year. I worked at a D2 where each year, I received a lump sum of athletic money to distribute. It changed every single year. It was always around 2 total scholarships, well below the allowed max. However, I was able to package several kids with near full rides with the following types of aid:

academic aid
in-state grants
regional grants
federal need based grants
school need based grants

As kids narrow down their lists, parents should be proactive and ask questions about what type of aid is available. It's ok to ask if the school is fully funded. Also, most schools use a financial aid estimator that will lay out what types of aid the family will be eligible for. This can be filled out at any point in the process to see where you stand.

Unfortunately, you always get kids who don't have the grades for academic money, their EFC is really high due to their parents' income so they don't qualify for need-based money, and they aren't eligible for in-state/regional grants. So they are banking on athletic money to be able to afford the schools on their list. A lot of times this doesn't pan out and they end up having to look at completely different options once they realize they aren't going to get athletic money.....which is ok, but many athletes and their parents should be keeping more options open earlier in the process.

By completing the financial aid estimators early in the process, you will have a better idea what a school is going to cost you. At that point, the athlete should start asking questions about where they stand in the recruiting process with each school. Any coach with integrity will be upfront with their answer. But a college coach in most cases is not just going to come out and tell a kid that they are not interested unless the kid asks.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse