Not enough players - leave or hope for the best

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2012
DD's team does not have enough players yet. I believe there are 8 although I do not know for sure and coach is being vague. Just saying the team will have enough and he can use some pick up players to make sure the team is able to play. Tryouts in our area are essentially done. They were mostly end of July/beg of August. DD's team has had 3 tryouts. This is a softball rich area so lots of teams. Another team contacted me about DD. Is interested in her playing on their team and has asked her to workout with the team tomorrow. This other team has 11 players and a good, experienced coaching staff. Problem is DD is really confused. She committed already to her team that does not have enough players and she loves the coach. He is also a very good, experienced coach who she is very comfortable with and he has really been working with her on the mental side of the game. Definitely seen improvement there. So, does she stay and hope it works out or does she go where there is enough? What would you do or have you done in the past? I'm sure we are not the only people to experience this. (14/16u level)

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
How confident are you that the current coach will eventually field a full team and how soon do you think that would be?

Can you hedge and tell new coach DD would like to come to a few workouts before committing?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Suppose someone came up to you today and said, "I've got a team with 7 girls on it. Your DD will be 8. Want to play for me?" You would without a doubt snicker and walk off. It wouldn't matter how good the coach was, you simply wouldn't do it.

This isn't 12U ball anymore At this age level, you have to flush sentimentality down the toilet and look at TB like a business arrangement.

Here are some other thoughts:

1) You will get a phone call on Thursday as to whether the team will play in the tournament over the next weekend. If he can't get enough players for one or two tournaments, the team will fold. Do you really want to go through a whole season not knowing from one day to the next what you are doing over the next weekend?

2) As the teams get better, it becomes increasingly difficult to find pickup players who can hold their own in a game. Most likely, you will end up with weak players, which only increases the frustration of being on the team.

3) You will be on injury away from the team collapsing. Suppose one of the other 8 kids breaks a leg and can't play...what happens?

IMHO, it isn't worth it. Find a different team.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2012
I'm concerned he cannot field a full team. At the 3 tryouts only 2 girls have showed up at each tryout and he has taken every single one regardless of talent just to try to field a team. I told the new coach that DD had committed to another team and explained the situation. He said, just have her come out and let's go from there. Not sure how long he will wait. He is planning to play next weekend and needs another pitcher. I would hate to break a commitment and possibly burn a bridge.

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
JN, does your DD's team normally have a fall season/league and do they practice year round?

A fall season/league may be a lost cause, but if they are working out all year, the team will find players. Especially if you're in a softball heavy area. Teams are always shifting, players move, girls decide late they want to play again, etc. My oldest DD joined her team in February.

This year she was in a similar position you are. Her team only had 8 players until just recently even after 4(!) tryouts. She had two other teams she could have gone to and would have been guaranteed playing time. A huge decision for my 12U. She liked her coaches and team so she stuck with her current. Now they have 11 soon to be 12.

If the coach is good, the players will come. It's nerve wracking for sure.

I hope it works out one way or another!

Apr 11, 2012
Acroyear, 12u is really different than 14u/16u. Lots of girls at 12u and many just deciding to play. The decline begins at 14s and 16s there is major attrition which various from season to season and year to year. My DD's team is 16u although she is still 14u eligible. About 1/2 the girls from her summer team are taking the fall off and are thinking of giving up travel and only playing high school ball. 3 went to 18 gold teams. Coach is good but stopped coaching for 4 years and is just getting back in again. Has to build his reputation again unfortunately.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
If your DD is reluctant to leave, it sounds like she has guest opportunities through the fall, so I would go that route and see how things play out.

Two things to consider:

One, it is still August and there is a pretty good chance the team will land enough players before it has to play any meaningful games. You just need to gauge whether or not you have the stomach to be able to forego a fall tournament or two and just have DD practice with her team rather than play.

Two, commitment is a two-way street. You committed to a team that you thought would be viable and able to play right away. They essentially made that commitment to you, as well, whether implied or stated. The team has not held up its end of the bargain, and I see them as having broken their commitment first. There is no harm/no foul in leaving for another team when there is ball to be played and you're a part of a team that is unable to take part.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877