No stride

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man

Hitters at toe touch.

Hitters, and baseball pitchers, keep the back heel down as long as possible. This is the opposite of squishing the bug.

Last edited:
May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Check out back foot at contact...can't squish the bug with your foot in the air...lol

In my own personal case with DD,

the key is to learn how to "un-weight" the back-side without over-baking this move and getting "over" the front leg.

The weight-shift to the front leg should be a "resistive" movement, correct?

May 12, 2016

the key is to learn how to "un-weight" the back-side without over-baking this move and getting "over" the front leg.

This is very very important, been struggling with my DD for years because of a misteach on my part. IMHO, don't teach anything about forward movement with the back foot. If it get's dragged forward a little, then so be it. But there are successful hitters where the back foot does not skip forward or lift off the ground. It is a result, not something that should be forced as a result of pushing forward.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
corlay said:

This is very very important, been struggling with my DD for years because of a misteach on my part. IMHO, don't teach anything about forward movement with the back foot. If it get's dragged forward a little, then so be it. But there are successful hitters where the back foot does not skip forward or lift off the ground. It is a result, not something that should be forced as a result of pushing forward.

There are so many rabbit holes to chase in baseball hitting. There are a couple mentioned here.

The way to fix all these issues is to fix the stride. Keep the back heel down, and coil inward, as you stride /push with the back leg/heel until the rear leg is almost fully extended. That's it as far as the lower body. That's thousands of dollars of free lessons right there.

If you get caught up in 'unweighting' and 'resisting' and not 'overbaking' and 'crimping' you can potentially waste years and years. I did the same thing myself.

Sep 29, 2014

Yeah the whole back foot slide/not bearing weight or even in air is a 100% no teach it is simple the by product of correct backside release and front side resistance

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

Absolutely, there is good drag and bad dragging of the back foot.

Sep 29, 2014
In looking I think the back foot not lifting or sliding is the exception not the rule and the few that I have seen are just toe touching and bearing no weight, the thing is if you are bearing any weight at all the swing isn't optimal and if its not bearing weight and you have all that momentum built up in the swing the leg just wants to go forward now once you are done you should be falling back on that foot otherwise you've got to much weight over your front foot and didn't resist enough.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying