No more whining about dd not getting a shot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
I'm sure that many of you have read posts by me moaning about dd working hard since summer to pitch and never getting a chance. Last summer dd had only been learning to pitch about a month and definitely did not make her team based on her circle ability. She went through a rec fall ball league and never got a chance to pitch. And her tb coach hadn't even asked to look at her pitch since tryouts, since we had 3 pitchers already. Dd has been undaunted in her practice.
Last Sunday at practice coach told dd he wanted to see her pitch. We ran out of time and she never got to pitch. She was very upset when we got in the car. She said she was never gonna get a chance. I quietly told her to be patient her time would come,she just needs to be prepared when she gets her shot. A speech I have given her several times.
We had one final batting practice before our tourney this weekend and dd wanted me to talk to her coach. I refused and told her that if she wanted to pitch she had to talk to him, which she did. She pitched to him for 20 min and he said she was done(I was manning a hitting station and did not get to watch. She told me she did well. I texted him later to see how she did and his response was one word, impressed.
Well he must have been really impressed. Our starter breezed through our first game, but in our second she stumbled a bit. She gave up several walks and in the top of the second with no outs we found ourselves in a 10-2 hole. Coach walked out to the circle and I started fidgeting with something until I heard my wife say, "Is that Noaah warming up?". I looked up and couldn't believe my eyes. My dd, who had never faced a batter(even in practice), and now she was warming up. I must say I did feel a little queasy. She struck out the first batter, second grounded out, and she struck out the third batter. I couldn't believe what I was watching. She ended up pitching 3 innings with 6 ks and 2 walks and one hbp. No runs. Words cannot express how I felt, but I'm sure many of you know what I mean.
Today, our #1 pitched the first game. And did very well striking out 15 in a shut out. But after warm ups for the second game coach came up to me and said Noaah was starting. I couldn't believe it. A week ago she was #4, at best, and now she was starting an elimination game! She ended up pitching 6 innings with 6 walks and 7 ks, 1hbp. She also made a couple defensive outs. Unfortunately, we lost 6-4. Most of those walks came in the 5th and 6th innings
I was so amazed at how well she did having never faced a batter in her life. Words cannot express how I, still, feel about my daughter who a week ago was resigned to not getting a shot to pitch till next year. How she handled herself is a true sign of her character. To hear people talk after our game about how she "brought it" and use word like "mentally tough" and "smart pitcher"..... I think I am gonna cry!

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
Oregon
What a great story! My 10 yo daughter is just learning to pitch. She is on an established team with 4 solid pitchers ahead of her. She is in for a couple of years of hard work. I'm going to share your story... Hard work, dedication, patience. :)

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Nice job to both of you! You did more to help your dd grow as a player by telling her to be ready when she was given a chance, than to go to the coach and demand playing time.

Jan 31, 2011
Awesome! Stories like yours is what I really love about this game. A kid works hard, takes the high road, stays a team player, talks to coach, shows her stuff, gets her opportunity & nails it! Your DD gained much more than a pitching assignment, she learned a life lesson.

How many outstanding young pitchers have we all seen become a ruined mess because dad or mom rip the coach, slam the team, jump ship and the kid learns this is how you handle challenges...Finally the kid quits pitching because her preordained status is lost.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Congratulations to both of you.

You know you are going to work even harder now that she has had the opportunity to pitch, she is not going to leave you alone.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd