Nine Year Old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Looks like she's having heaps of fun!

Why does she have the pump up as well as the swing back?

The one thing she needs to work on is keeping her body straight. She starts leaning back. Then as she's finishing the pitch she's leaning too far foward. She need to have her body straight up when throwing a fastball.

Mar 31, 2011
Central Florida
I think she wants to feel big and powerful when she pitches. I try to get her to not expend so much energy in the wind up. Look at the crazy screw face she makes every time she throws! Thanks for the input. She'll work on keeping straight by using some drills found in this very forum.

Sep 3, 2009
Wow. great start for 9 IMO. I even see some IR going on there. Wish I could convince my 8 DD to pitch. My 11 DD started in the fall of her 9th year.

Sep 3, 2009
Convince the 8 year old to catch. In a couple of years your bucket days will be over.

Hah...it's the 11 DD pitcher who wants to catch, and she does. She's actually very good at it. The 8 year old actually hasn't shown the love for sports as her older sister has, so for now she's satisfied to take a back seat. Just have a gut feeling that when she jumps to player pitch the year after next that she's going to decide then she wants to pitch, so I'd love to see her start now.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
At this age every week it may be something different to work on. She looks good for this age so the key is to get her into games and give her as many opportunities if you can. that way she can be developing the mental and emotional side of things while she is developing her physical skills which seem to be coming along nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand