NFHS 'official book' question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
I missed game traveling, but I watched the game video after. A couple questions about 'official book' in NFHS games in particular, but games in general (since I umpire a few rec games and will likely do some HS after DD graduates HS).

1) Is Game Changer allowed to be used as an 'official book' in NFHS? Or must it be a paper book?

2) If 'home scorekeeper' is messing up (1st case with GC, 2nd case in general), can the umpire decide to use the visitor's book as the official book?

3) Is 'home book' always gospel, or can umpire get information from visiting scorekeeper as well? Our team keeps a paper book and a GC book.

4) There were two 7-8 minutes delays in DD's game due to mistakes the home book made scoring the game in GC. According to DW (our scorekeeper), as part of the 2nd delay in middle of 6th inning, home scorekeeper was still harping about a batting out of order that wasn't that caused the 7-8 minute delay in the 4th inning. I'm surprised the umpires allowed the 2nd delay.

How should our coaches and the umpires have resolved the situation? Is harping on a play that took place in the 4th inning during a 7-8 minute delay during the 6th inning anywhere close to 'persisting in tactics designed to delay or shorten the game.' ?

5) If there is a 7-8 minute delay after the defense finishes their in-between inning warmups, should they get 1 minute to have a new set of warmups?

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Most HS have someone who runs a scoreboard...pretty simple to keep track of runs across. Umpires are going to keep track of lineup and changes. In a HS game or any other where the score might matter, they're probably counting runs as well (I would). If there's a batting order issue, it's brought by the opposing coach when appropriate. A Home scorekeeper might alert the Home coach, but has no other role unless the umpire asks a specific question. It appears that the umpire was paying too much attention to something he shouldn't have.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Usually, the home book is the official book. If there is a discrepancy, then an Umpire will compare any books that are available. I do not keep track of the score other than glancing at a scoreboard. A batting out of order should never take 7-8 minutes to fix. Who was the proper batter (the name that follows the last legal (or legalized improper) batter), was that the person who batted? If no, then proper batter is out and the name that follows that person is now at bat. Once a pitch is thrown to the person after an improper batter then the improper batter has become a legalized improper batter and the name that follows hers is now the proper batter. Takes about 1 minute at most even with the most confusing scenario as long as umpire is keeping track of changes.

The one-minute between innings warm up begins the moment the 3rd out is made in the previous half-inning. A pitcher can pitch up to 5 pitches in that time. If there is a delay that goes longer, then I will allow the pitcher to throw (not pitch) to a team mate that isn't in a crouch to keep her arm warm,

Jul 29, 2012
NC
AFAIK GC is permitted.

Not sure about that. When I was doing it in the paper book we had to suspend agame due to weather. The Blue signed in our book where everything was at time of suspension. He checked it again when we resumed a few weeks later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2021
MI
This will depend on how your state/conference handles it. I have always made the notes (inning, score, outs, count on batter, runners on and where) on the line-up card and THAT is the official record. All the statistical stuff makes no difference to the umpires, so we don't care about what happened with so-and-so three innings earlier other than if she scored.

Jan 22, 2011
Usually, the home book is the official book. If there is a discrepancy, then an Umpire will compare any books that are available. I do not keep track of the score other than glancing at a scoreboard. A batting out of order should never take 7-8 minutes to fix. Who was the proper batter (the name that follows the last legal (or legalized improper) batter), was that the person who batted? If no, then proper batter is out and the name that follows that person is now at bat. Once a pitch is thrown to the person after an improper batter then the improper batter has become a legalized improper batter and the name that follows hers is now the proper batter. Takes about 1 minute at most even with the most confusing scenario as long as umpire is keeping track of changes.

The one-minute between innings warm up begins the moment the 3rd out is made in the previous half-inning. A pitcher can pitch up to 5 pitches in that time. If there is a delay that goes longer, then I will allow the pitcher to throw (not pitch) to a team mate that isn't in a crouch to keep her arm warm,

Thanks Ed. The first delay was actually about 5 minute 20 seconds, and the second delay about 7 minutes 30 seconds. BOO was question on our first batter of the inning after she hit a double.

If I had had been there as one of the AC's, I would of had someone playing overhand catch with the pitcher.

I agree I don't know why it seemed to be an issue brought up by the home scorekeeper, not home coach. Part of issue is GC doesn't show numbers if names are entered as names, just shows names.

What delayed it was GC home book had numbers and they were trying to resolve the issue originally with our GC book that had names, so they wasted about 3 and half minutes trying to figure out issue without both GC's having both numbers and names. The situation was finally resolved in a bit under 2 minutes when they compared home GC to my wife's paper book with both names and numbers (as NFHS calls out for line-ups).

I would argue GC for official book shouldn't be allowed unless there is an easy way to show both names and numbers.

Not sure why umpires let over three minutes be wasted before involving our paper scorebook with the proper lineup with first intial/full last name, number.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Game Changer will produce a paper score sheet, that can be printed, it even has a place for the umpire signature.

1620658080941.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi