New York State high school softball rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 29, 2010
This is an email I received,

NYSSO Today at 6:58 AM
To

Mr. Rodriguez,

The New York State Public High School Athletic Association (NYSPHSAA) governs under which code a particular sport plays. There was recently a move to have all sports play under Federation rules, but that movement failed by a significant margin. NYSPHSAA Softball plays by ASA rules (and basically always has) with certain modifications. Gorilla Gold has been approved by ASA since 2009 and has been permitted in NY ever since.

Here is the question written immediately after the ASA rules committee meeting in 2008 and appeared on the 2009 NYS Softball Officials' (NYSSO) exam:

The Gorilla Gold drying agent is approved for use but must be kept in the pitcher’s pocket when not being used - True

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Brad White, Esq.
NYSSO - Vice President

On Oct 27, 2014, at 11:18 AM, RODRIGUEZ wrote:

Good morning,

Gorilla gold is legal for ASA and USSSA, It is a tacky cloth to give pitchers a better grip on their pads of their fingers. It does not leave and residue on the ball. Must be worn in pitchers pocket. Is it legal for New York State High School for the upcoming 2015 softball season?

This past fall we have had issues during the game due to umpires and opposing coaches not knowing the rules or seen this product before. These were in ASA and USSSA sanctioned tournaments.

Legal in ASA since 2009.

Official sponsor for Usssa. Sold on their Usssa online store.

It would save a lot of time and no hurt feelings if everyone was on the same page.

Thank your for your time,

Dec 29, 2010
NYSPHSAA Softball = ASA Rules
ASA Rules = Gorilla Gold permitted
No NYSPHSAA exception to the ASA rules here
NYSPHSAA = Gorilla Gold legal.

end of discussion

Problem is if you can't show proof, hard headed umpires and High School Coaches who dont know the rules see the pitcher reaching in her back pocket will think she is cheating. They will say foreign substance yada yada. I want to prepared and this email will end all future issues with the ignorant.

This will be the first year dd will be using this for High School ball. Knowledge is power. Thank you for the link.

Dec 29, 2010
No bashing here. I have been through it the past 2 weeks. One coach told me and the umpire that it is legal for mens fastpitch but not for girls. Also stated he was high school coach for girls softball in ny. The majority of umpires do not know g.g. is legal. Should be a interesting upcoming high school season.

Mar 2, 2013
Problem is if you can't show proof, hard headed umpires and High School Coaches who dont know the rules see the pitcher reaching in her back pocket will think she is cheating. They will say foreign substance yada yada. I want to prepared and this email will end all future issues with the ignorant.

This will be the first year dd will be using this for High School ball. Knowledge is power. Thank you for the link.

I'm not sure what more proof one needs than the rule book. For what it is worth, I have umpire 3500 games in NY (and elsewhere), including high school since 1998. Gorilla Gold came out in 2009. Not once has it raised an issue either before, during or after a game; not even an email for an interpretation.

While I understand the desire to know the rule so that the players can play legally, I would note that a non-issue with a simple interpretation seems to have been turned into something, when it really is nothing.

Though ASA JO enrollment may be down in NY in terms of registered teams, considering that every public high school team plays under ASA, the players, teams and coaches are as familiar with ASA rules as they are any other code, as are the 2500 umpires registered in NYSSO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom