New Year Resolution......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 16, 2013
Utah
In the never ending quest for DD to have the perfect swing or flawless pitching mechanics, I've come to terms with myself and accepted the fact that this will never happen. Something will be off on most repetitions. My resolution next year is to not "demand" perfection. DD will be much happier, love the game more and ultimately play better. I challenge all of us on this forum to practice the philosophy of not using the word "don't" during the next month of practice, to not sweat the isolated random flaw and see how our relationships with players change during that time. My name is Stryckout and I'm a bucket dad...................

Nov 9, 2013
Stryckout----You hit a home run with this advice. If anyone is interested in an approach to coaching/teaching that would support what Stryckout is advocating, check out any of the "Inner Game" books written by Tim Gallwey. His first book "Inner Tennis", published in the 1970s is still a classic and a must read for any parent or coach. Even though Mr. Gallwey focuses on tennis instruction, the concepts in his books are directly applicable to any other sport, including softball. He encourages coaching and learning through "observation", instead of over instruction or the "don'ts", as you call it. This type of instruction is not only more effective, it also encourages teamwork on the part of instructor and student, which builds the relationships you are referring to. I continue to purchase "Inner Tennis" on Amazon.com as gifts for friends and young instructors. You can buy used copies for under $2.00. I have no connection with Mr. Gallwey, other than the fact that he changed the way I have taught/coached over the past 20 years.

Thanks again for the great advice and reminder what our priorities should be, as we head into a new year!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors