New to the mound.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 30, 2011
Well my daughter just took up pitching last year and was a #3 pitcher on her team. This year she is on a new team and has found her self being needed a ton more then she was prepared for. Shes really green but shows potential is what we have been told. Shes a decent sized kid for 12 standing 5'4 and weighing 130. Shes throwing about 52 on the high side and 48 consistent but needs some work on mechanics. A couple things we have been told so far is she has "chicken wing" and the slapping of her thigh with glove on release has to stop.

Anyway, here are a couple videos, I would love to hear from a few others about areas to work on and possible drills to fix the problem areas.

Oh in the videos shes pitching from 43ft instead of 40ft. We were told it would help strengthen her arm.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Can't see the video, but if her form is dialed, I'd recommend pitching from 40. Distance pitching can be used on it's own as a tool, but not for regular control practice.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Got it.

First, I love the videos--great job.

I'd suggest using the glove arm more during the drive, pointing the stride toe at the target longer and staying tall at release. Great foundation to start with. A few tweaks and she can really maximize her potential and get to work on batters!

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2011
I forgot to mention, shes been with a pitching coach since Nov. Prior to that, it was me and YouTube playing the role of pitching coach lol.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Couple more suggestions. I generally don't mind a little turn of the pivot foot, but I think she really turns it too far. Think "straight out to the catcher" and let the armswing and stride open her up. She's trying to force herself open.

Her plant foot should be more in line with the target. She's way left of the powerline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes