New to forum, years at softball . . . . BUT?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2011
I'll try to set the stage here with the least amount of information. I coach currently, rec. league, 10u to 14u, various teams various times. We have good talent but need better pitchers. I've been in softball and coache rec. many years. I feel I coach great overall form in every aspect but I'm a constant learner. What I would like to do now is devote more time to teaching pitchers. I have my local rec. teams willing. I'd like to start my pitchers in Feb., we are looking for an indoor site and will have one shortly. I'd like to group the 8u and 10u together and the 12u and 14u together. Here goes the list of questions.

How long to practice each group? Good warm exercise, I'm strong on body weight exercises. I also teach to drive hard off the mound, leg strength.

Grips? I teach the 4 seam fastball. I really need what grip does what for the older girls and I realise wrist snaps are the key also.

Need to keep young girls involved and excited.

Also read some of the post here and am not up on the acronyms, so please explain. oh, almost forgot. The local org. that runs my teams doesn't want to spend money, go figure that. I'm sure I'm forgeting something but as they arise I'll shoot them out there.

Great site by the way, love it!

Oct 22, 2009
Scott I would make your practices around an hour for all your students. Any less if you have more than 2 you may not feel like your getting enough individual time with them.

May 25, 2010
Does your league start player pitch at 8u or 10u?

Have them arrive about 15 minutes early (earlier on really cold days) to warm up and then plan on a 30- to 45-minute session with each group, depending on the number of girls.

Each girl is responsible for bringing her own catcher.

Jan 18, 2011
League starts player pitch @ 8u, but no walks after so many balls or pitches a coach pitches, sometimes a tee is used but mostly player and coach. At 10u all player pitch but no walks, after 4 balls, batter hits off tee. 12u, game on.

I was thinking about at first 1 hour each group, but don't have a count of girls yet. I do like the 30 to 45 each group. guess it would be better when I know the number of girls who will attend. I also like bring own catcher.

Thanks for the tips so far.

Oct 22, 2009
Also have them bring their own balls, you'd be surprised that there are some that don't know that.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I use dynamic warmup lines, then have the kids circle up for stationary stuff. Looks something like this:

Lines (about 15 yds)
-Jog forwards down/backwards back 2x
-High knees down/heel kickers back 2x
-Sideways shuffle 2x
-High skips down/quick skips back 2x
-Karaoke 2x
-Zig zag and touch 2x (touching the ground on every zig and zag.)
-Leg swing to lunge 1x
We substitue ladders or a game of tag to keep things interesting

Circle (Use this time to chat about last session and topics for the day.)
-Neck circles (slowly in both directions)
-Forward swimmers (crossing in front of the body)
-Backwards swimmers
-Figure 8's with wrists
-Twists (with loose arms pulling the torso at the waist)
-Front/back arm swings
-Knee circles (balance on one foot and make big circles with the opposite knee)
-Leg swings: front to back and side to side (Use a partner, wall or fence.)
-Ankle circles

Stretching (I don't encourage it but allow time for those who feel the need.)

I like to keep numbers low (1-2) with new pitchers or kids who are starting over. I also use nets for new kids and stay pretty close while building the basic form. I encourage them to do the same when working at home--using an old blanket, tarp mattress or net if they have it. Once they get the form down, they move back until they can hit the middle of the net consistently from regular distance. Then I add a catcher.

We play games at the end:
-Step backs: who can go the farthest and hit the zone
-Strikes thrown for X # of pitches (better kids have to hit the glove--catcher judges)
-Pretend batters: Play 2 innings with strikes, outs and walks. Catcher calls strikes.
-Hitting a ball off a tee (softball on up to a basketball for new kids)
Occasionally we'll allow the preceding girl to distract the girl who's up. This often starts out a giggle fest, but once they get into it, they focus in and start nailing their spots. The only rules are: no serious insults and stay to the side.

Jan 22, 2011
I use dynamic warmup lines, then have the kids circle up for stationary stuff. Looks something like this:

Lines (about 15 yds)
-Jog forwards down/backwards back 2x
-High knees down/heel kickers back 2x
-Sideways shuffle 2x
-High skips down/quick skips back 2x
-Karaoke 2x
-Zig zag and touch 2x (touching the ground on every zig and zag.)
-Leg swing to lunge 1x
We substitue ladders or a game of tag to keep things interesting

Circle (Use this time to chat about last session and topics for the day.)
-Neck circles (slowly in both directions)
-Forward swimmers (crossing in front of the body)
-Backwards swimmers
-Figure 8's with wrists
-Twists (with loose arms pulling the torso at the waist)
-Front/back arm swings
-Knee circles (balance on one foot and make big circles with the opposite knee)
-Leg swings: front to back and side to side (Use a partner, wall or fence.)
-Ankle circles

Stretching (I don't encourage it but allow time for those who feel the need.)

I like to keep numbers low (1-2) with new pitchers or kids who are starting over. I also use nets for new kids and stay pretty close while building the basic form. I encourage them to do the same when working at home--using an old blanket, tarp mattress or net if they have it. Once they get the form down, they move back until they can hit the middle of the net consistently from regular distance. Then I add a catcher.

We play games at the end:
-Step backs: who can go the farthest and hit the zone
-Strikes thrown for X # of pitches (better kids have to hit the glove--catcher judges)
-Pretend batters: Play 2 innings with strikes, outs and walks. Catcher calls strikes.
-Hitting a ball off a tee (softball on up to a basketball for new kids)
Occasionally we'll allow the preceding girl to distract the girl who's up. This often starts out a giggle fest, but once they get into it, they focus in and start nailing their spots. The only rules are: no serious insults and stay to the side.

Thanks for all the great tips. I think you've put some ideas out there that'll help our girls out on player evaluation day. It was a chilly morning last year and one of the things I noticed was how many girls went directly from the registration line into the skills check lineup with no warmup whatsoever. If I were coaching, I would want the extra opportunity to observe the girls doing these types of moves in order to assess their agility.

BLB

May 19, 2008
Food for thought...In my opinion, I don't believe that neck circles (slow or not) is worth the risk. Back peddling can be dangerous if performed indoors. This could result in 2 broken wrists with a backward fall unless you prepare athletes properly in case this should happen. Also, there are a number of running activities in your warmups in which you can include catching a ball. This makes it more interesting and challenging for the athletes and also develops the ability to catch a ball on the move. Might not be easy at first but it's amazing how kids can get better in no time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish