New to coaching bases. I need help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2013
B.C. Canada
Along with all the other suggestions, I would refrain from using NO... with the crowd yelling, the girls yelling, the coaches yelling, and their 10, NO and GO sound too similar.

I use GO and either STOP or BACK I have learned to not say NO :)

I agree with not using the No and Go terminology. As a matter of fact on third I use "score" or "back", and on 1st I use "two" or "back" and have totally eliminated no and go all togeather.
In the past, I don't know how many times the runner at 3rd has come back to the bag thinking she heard "no" when I was actaually saying "go". Doesn't happen anymore.

Aug 3, 2013
Illinois
Lots of good advice has been given.

I would add if coaching at first, do not get your self inline with any infielder making the throw to first.
You might find yourself flinching or ducking on bad throws.

No matter which base I am coaching, I have my back slightly angled towards the batter so I can see the field and were the fielders are

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Do not use the word GO. Parents use it and it can be confusing to a player. GO can mean so many things to a player in the heat of the game. I like MOVE instead. Also, make sure you are in sync with the HC and/or 3rd base coach. If you are sending them and 3rd base is holding them it can become an issue. You are the #1 fan when they get on. No matter how they do it they need the enthusiasm. Keep in mind that the opponents catchers and defense are on HIGH ALERT for a girl to steal 2nd in 10U on the first pitch. It is common. So have them prepared to steal on any pitch.... Send them on 2,3 or 4 so the defense settles into the play of the current batter. It will give you an edge against a stronger catcher. It can keep the pitcher stressed that your players is jumping off the bag and she does not know what or when she is going to make a move. Also, it will help your teammate see more pitches which will help later in the game from a hitters perspective. Remind the girls it is okay to see where they hit the ball.... it is not okay to stare it down, slow down and forget where they are. All extra bases are important so they must be busting out of the gate at all times when running. No matter what ENJOY IT! You will mess it up sometimes. So will the girls. Just relax, play hard, coach hard and have fun!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
One additional piece of advice: if you want aggressive base runners, tell them that if you (the coach) make the decision to send the runner and the runner gets thrown out, you own the decision. I see a lot of coaches who turn around and yell at the player for getting thrown out. When I see that, I know those base runners will be tentative and afraid to take any chances. Let your players know it is OK to get thrown out on good defensive plays when you make the decision to send them.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My advice:

1) Understand fielding technique. That is, know how the ball is supposed be picked up, caught and thrown.
2) Send runners based upon what you see, not feel or hope. In other words, be able to tell someone why you did or did not send a runner.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
One additional piece of advice: if you want aggressive base runners, tell them that if you (the coach) make the decision to send the runner and the runner gets thrown out, you own the decision. I see a lot of coaches who turn around and yell at the player for getting thrown out. When I see that, I know those base runners will be tentative and afraid to take any chances. Let your players know it is OK to get thrown out on good defensive plays when you make the decision to send them.

YES, I can't tell you how many times I have to say that during a season!!!! I have always told the girls that I expect them to face reality and accountability for their own play, and I will ALWAYS fess up to my coaching mistakes (I've made plenty)

May 6, 2012
Texas
Don't get caught being a spectator. You will learn real quick that you are no longer looking at plays or what you girl did with that ball instead you are watching where on the field the ball is, where the players and there back ups are. Always looks to advance to the next base and never leave a player stranded due to a play. If there are more then one runner on and the play is being made at 3rd and your first you must turn your attention to the other runners instead of the runner going home. You will learn real fast with time how you and your other coach can work as one and cover all the bases and all the different plays that go one. Some huge advise because to know the signals and what your batter is doing so you know the possible plays coming for your runner. Also make sure you check out the field know if there is wet sand, know if there are holes, know what the ball will do on a wild throw against the ball or the dugout.

And most of all be sure you and the girls are on the same page of signs on running you cant always just yell go or back or down sometime you need signs to keep the defense off it games but if it is not understood it can cause a lot of problems.

Good luck and enjoy it.

May 6, 2015
Concur, i always tell them if I send them, and they get out, it is my fault, not theirs (other than if they stop running, had one girl do that this year going home, now I explain before every game, even if you think they have yourun hard and slide, you might get undeer tag(or they might tag base not you), or you might know ball out.

May 6, 2015
Please please please, don't tell them to not look at the ball after they hit it. That myth has been around baserunning for years and keeps kids from learning how to go for 2 out of the box. All good baserunners take a peak at the ball after they hit it. No they shouldn't stare at the ball, but don't hamper their development by telling them to never look at the ball and that you will tell them what to do. A first base coach's #1 job for the batter/runner, its to stop her at first. She should already know if she needs to run through the bag, or if she needs to round. Of course at 10u they are still learning, but try to teach them that, not to be the joy stick controller coach that doesn't allow the kids to run on their own.

I do tell them to not look at ball, but more for hitting reasons. My biggest hitting issue with most girls is they pick their head up, either a little (so they are not directly looking at ball as it crosses plate), or completely looking out in field. For hitting purposes, I tell them not to look, so they concentrate on keeping eye focused directly on the ball until their follow through. they can pickup the taking the peek as they head to first, but if they do not keep their head on the ball, they will not hit it (and therefore nothing to look at). this is issue even with my best hitters, because if they have been hitting well lately, they tend to start to try to see where it went before they hit it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00