New team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 14, 2012
Hello, recently my DD was asked to play for a new team. She was asked last year and went to a practice. The girls on the team did not talk to her. My DD has competed against this girls for last 4 years .My DD has owned this team with her pitching and hitting. Should I talk to the coach and ask him to talk to his girls before first practice? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

Jun 24, 2013
I would politely address your concern with the coach and let him decide how to address it, there are a few different ways. I assume you like them or your DD would not be joining.

Both DD and you also need to show a little patience.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Hello, recently my DD was asked to play for a new team. She was asked last year and went to a practice. The girls on the team did not talk to her. My DD has competed against this girls for last 4 years .My DD has owned this team with her pitching and hitting. Should I talk to the coach and ask him to talk to his girls before first practice? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

How old is she?

I wouldn't make assumptions about why they didn't talk with her. My DD just joined a new team, has played two tournaments and been to two practices. It's 14U. She told me after the last practice that she doesn't feel very accepted. But she wasn't discouraged or judgmental about it. She said the girls are nice, but they've been together and they have their friendships already. They don't have the same motivation to reach out to people as they would if everybody were new. A lot of kids just lack the maturity or empathy skills or social skills to make a new player welcome. Doesn't mean they don't like her. So my DD will give it time and expects it to improve. It was more of an observation than a complaint.

I'm not saying that applies to your case. Maybe what you suspect about her being a rival is a factor, but I just wouldn't rush to that judgment. Sometimes it just takes time. Since my DD just went to a handful of tryouts and practices with new teams this past couple of months, I know exactly what you're saying, though. My biggest fear was always that nobody would talk to her. Coaches should be aware of this phenomenon and help their players be more aware of how they can help. Happens a lot.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

My first question is why would your DD want to switch teams to one she has OWNED? Is this team a significant "upgrade" in the overall level of play? Be careful when switching teams....."the grass is not always greener on the other side"!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

When we have a new girl try out of our team after the season starts all of the teams and coaches focus is on her. We kill her with kindness and attention. If their coach did not extend your DD the same courtesy, you might want to consider trying out for a different team.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I set the expectation that the new girl will attend some practices and at least 1 tournament before any commitments are made. Then if all is well and good she becomes a regular.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12