New rule proposal!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2017
I agree it makes no sense they are circular. I took the NFHS definition (below) and instead of swung (past tense of swing) I put the definition of swing attempt from baseball rule’s academy. This is the closest rules have for a swing. Then replaced the word bunt with the definition on bunt. I was not doing this that it made sense but to show they were circular.
I know the rules do not really define a swing, this lies the problem. One needs to be defined without using not the other. I would prefer to take not swung out of the bunt which is what I believe you did.
“A bunt is a deliberate attempt to tap the ball softly within the infield, if it’s not a bunt attempt then it is a swing.”
The only problem this is a slappers 90% of the time.
Hopefully this clears it up what I was getting at, putting not a swing in bunt definition, without defining a swing separate from a bunt makes it circular.

NFHS Rule 2-8-1 states that a bunt is simply a legally batted ball not swung at but intentionally tapped with the bat.
A swing is an attempt at a pitch, that is not a bunt
That makes it worse. Many of your sentences make no sense. They are difficult to understand.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2008
A little more explanation utilizing the bunt descriptions being mentioned in this thread.

Good old refree magazine. Not always the best source of information.

While most of what he writes is ok, the hand position has ZERO to do with if it is a bunt or not. A good all around lefty slapper that hits away, slaps and bunts will never change their hand position on the bat. My daughter was a very accommplished D1 lefty slapper, never moved her hands on the bat. Its a giveaway to the defense when the hands move. Thats the beauty of a lefty that can do it all. If the defense plays in for the bunt, you power slap or hit away. If they play the slap or swing away, you drag bunt.

Jun 22, 2008
How about this.
It is not clearly defined the difference between a slappers bunt and swing.
Try looking at the definition of drag bunt in the NFHS definitions, under same heading as bunt. A bunt is a bunt regardless of if the batter is running through the box or not. And a chopping swing that stops at contact is not a bunt attempt.

Nov 5, 2014
Has there ever been a slapper in MLB, other than Ichiro, who wasn't a genuine slapper?
No. There was a guy who slapped a few times in the World Baseball Classic a few years back. I don't recall the country maybe Cuba definitely latin American.

Realistically even before MLB became all about the HR slapping is not a real viable strategy with 90 foot bases

Jul 28, 2019
I would prefer you make the rule if the slapper not use a full swing it is considered a bunt attempt and third strike bunt you are out.(And still not a fan of this idea but prefer it.) Do not agree with the three fouls only.
We definitely saw this called against DD #1's team this summer in a 14U tournament. The slapper had fouled off 12-14 straight pitches and, on the last one, the umpire called her out for a bunt strike three. It was quite controversial and our team lost by a run.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
No. There was a guy who slapped a few times in the World Baseball Classic a few years back. I don't recall the country maybe Cuba definitely latin American.

Realistically even before MLB became all about the HR slapping is not a real viable strategy with 90 foot bases
Maybe it would have been more practical in the 70s and 80s with the old style AstroTurf, and the weak hitters who could fly. Now, everyone has power.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi