new pitch spin and looking for your thoughts...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2014
it is a little grainy but I wanted use 480 fps to see the spin better. I will try to get a 240 fps soon and post. I really appreciate all the folks helping my dd out. the curve ball we are trying to do is the same as the one we saw Sarah do. it appears to me that her cb does not have a 9-3 spin or a spin that has an axis perpendicular to the ground with the spin parallel to the ground. if I am looking at this incorrectly please let me know. again thanks to all helping out.

damon

it is a little grainy but I wanted use 480 fps to see the spin better. I will try to get a 240 fps soon and post. I really appreciate all the folks helping my dd out. the curve ball we are trying to do is the same as the one we saw Sarah do. it appears to me that her cb does not have a 9-3 spin or a spin that has an axis perpendicular to the ground with the spin parallel to the ground. if I am looking at this incorrectly please let me know. again thanks to all helping out.

damon

I think you are correct. The curve that Sarah throws typically has some rise effect so that means the axis would not be perpendicular to the ground. The cue words I often use for this pitch are: "half rise/half curve". That really is the release action being attempted.

I think you would be better off shooting at the 480 fps for seeing spin orientation, but you may be off a bit on your focus or the direction the sunlight is hitting the ball/pitcher.......high speed video is a bit tricky.....need tons of sunlight for best results.