New parent to 8u TB player - apprehensive mom

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

All of my first-year 12U girls play at least two positions, most play three or more.

All are worked both in the infield and the outfield.

Half the team works out as a pitcher and the other half as a catcher, even if they don't play there in games.

Why do I do this? It is simple. A player who understands the functions and skill sets required of the various positions is a more well-rounded player who better understands the entire game and its nuances. It makes them better and more valuable to my team and to any team they will be on in the future.

I know many parents want to personalize anything the coach does that they don't agree with. I've been around more than long enough to understand that. The funny thing is, the longer the parents have been around, they usually start to understand things like this and become grateful their DDs are getting instructed on how to become a well-rounded player.

Your DD is seven years old. She'll more than likely change positions several times over her career, and your own perception of these positions will change over time, as well (for example, you'll feel slighted if she plays outfield at 8U and 10U but will start to understand the importance of having great outfielders at 12U and you will actually appreciate them at 14U). Be glad her coach is allowing her to explore and learn and get a feel for what it is she may be best suited for. She'll be a better player for it down the road.

Aug 20, 2013
I am not the OP, but this has been a very informative thread. It is so easy to take things personally and you are right, you can't. I like to think if more than 3 parents are upset about the same thing then there is a potential problem that needs to be addressed. If it is just you being upset, well, its probably just you. I am super guilty of this and my 3 parent rule has put things in perspective. Sometimes I am a drama queen and I take of my crown, other times, I lead the revolt! LOL--not really I just try and see how we can fix it or learn from it. After all, there is always next season. Right?

GG

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Is it important at this age for her to pick her position and start learning it or is it beneficial for her to just get the practice and be a utility player?

It is beneficial to play many positions at 8U. It is silly to do otherwise.

Am I being to critical of the coach even though he tells me one thing and does another?

No, you are not being too critical. It is is pretty common, however.

We just want to give her every opportunity and if you think I'm overreacting because she's 7 - don't bother replying.

Of course you are overreacting. You are a newbie and you haven't been around the softball world much.

Should we look for another team?

The only question at 8U is whether she is having fun. If she is enjoying playing on the team, leave her alone.

Oct 22, 2013
Sorry for the delay in responding to the posts. I do appreciate all the comments (well the majority that aren't dissing KY). DD has played a variety of positions but her favorites so far are 3rd and catcher. When we initially started in April her attention span was very short and she had difficulty in the outfield (playing in grass). Now she is much better and ready for every batter/play. She backs up 3rd but needs to work on her depth perception when catching fly balls.

We are a bit behind on throwing as hard as a couple of the other girls because the rec coach would have them run all over the field because the majority of the girls couldn't catch the ball. Again, we are working on all of her skills to make her a more rounded player.

To date, we have only been throwing to first and not trying to get the lead runner. We have also been practicing a lot of defensive skills and not so much batting and we are getting killed in that area. I'm more concerned that the coach tells us one thing and does another.

We don't want to be team jumpers. We don't expect to win every game. We would like to be part of a team that can grow and progress into the best team in our area. Thank you so much. As long as my dd is getting practice and enjoying the game that's all that matters to us.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2013
I am so glad you came back KY! We all thought we had scared you away. It sounds like you are well on your way. I totally feel for you. I could be wrong, but you sound like me--creating all of the drama and issues in your head when they may never arise.

"As long as my dd is getting practice and enjoying the game that's all that matters to us." Just make sure that this is really how you feel. I say this too, but know deep in my heart I want more and I don't know why.

We all want our children to be great on some level, whether rec. ball or the Olympics, and those that say that isn't true aren't really being honest with themselves. Why else do we do all we do?

My theory is that society has gone so far away from keeping score and team records that we have to focus on something and it is our kids individually rather than the team. How they are doing, how they are being treated, are they being played enough, is Sally's mom cheering too loudly, buying too much gear, bling etc....you see what I mean? If we brought the attention back on the team and the team's performance, I don't think I would nearly be as stressed at games. But they barely keep score and team records-forget it. No one knows who is in 1st or 2nd place. I am sure it changes a lot once you get into travel because winning is important, but we will find it hard to shake our habit of focusing on our own child to the extreme especially now that people can and do sit on the bench.

Hang in there. We all know your stress and pain.

GG

Aug 14, 2011
I understand your frustration. Honestly, I had to get over the fact that you are fretting about a 7 yr old. That is really really, really young. Relax. Is she having fun? Stay. If not, leave. At this age, and many ages, it's that simple.
Beyond the fact that she is only 7: my DD (rec from age 5, travel from age 10) was always moved around from position to position. It seemed to never settle down and drove us crazy, frustrated us, and all that. You know what? All those "mean" and "daddy-ball" coaches did her a huge favor. She can play any position on the field now, and had quite a few college offers because of that experience. So embrace that.

Aug 20, 2013
Good point Scl....I am really trying to prepare myself for the spring on how to handle it and find the positive in anything that is happening. And your "mean and daddy-ball" coaches statement helps a lot. I really struggle with this, but that is a great way to look at it.

GG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi