New parent to 8u TB player - apprehensive mom

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2013
My DD (just turned 8) just started with a relatively new travel team after starting to play ball in April. She was picked up by this team a few months later. We have been to every practice and practice at home. We also pay for lessons with another coach. we have picked up a few new players and each time we do my DD has lost the position she earned and gets tossed around to a different one. The coach is constantly moving to her new positions.

I understand that some parents think their daughter is the best and there is a bunch of drama but that is not the case here. We are doing everything we can to help our daughter progress at the sport she loves but feel that she is being slighted by the coach because he's promising the new parents the positions that they want for their daughter.

Is it important at this age for her to pick her position and start learning it or is it beneficial for her to just get the practice and be a utility player? Am I being to critical of the coach even though he tells me one thing and does another? We just want to give her every opportunity and if you think I'm overreacting because she's 8 - don't bother replying. Thank you.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
It could be that the coach is confident enough in your DD's ability that he can play her anywhere and she'll get the job done. Those kinds of players are valuable. Encourage her to keep working hard and do her best no matter what position she's playing. The postiions will settle down once the influx of new players stops. At 7yo, the road ahead is very long. Knowing how to play well at any position is a valuable skill.

EDIT:
Try looking at it this way. Parents who are insisting their DD play one specific position are limiting their DD's usefulness to the coach. I would much rather have a team of girls who can play multiple positions than be stuck with a team of girls whose parents' get irritated if their princesses can't play the one position they've determined she should play.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2013
She is 7, no position is hers. She doesn't know how to play any of them correctly yet. No 7 year old does, especially one that just started. Don't get too upset about moving around. It gives her exposure to different positions, learn what you can when you are there. In a couple of years or several you will have a very valuable utility player. As she moves up in age and class she will be more valuable to teams. In last 2 years my dd has played SS, CF, RF, P, 2nd, and catcher. Different teams and different levels of play. Your daughter will be a more rounded player and can fit into the rosters of better teams.

May 31, 2012
Playing multiple positions is good. Spend a little time on all the skills when yall work one on one.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Here I am, a new 8u TB coach, worried about not moving my girls around enough to get exposure everywhere and you're wanting to keep her at one position, at 7. LOL We are in opposite worlds.

To quote Bad Monkeys, you're over reacting. She is 7. My girls very seldom play or practice the same position more than 2-3 innings at a time, and 3 in a row was only once. They are learning the game and not locked into one position at 6-8 years old.

Just my $.02

Jun 24, 2013
Near and dear to my heart.

I do not know if 12U DD will make her HS Team, I do know she will be the first one on the field and play any position that is available for her to play. She will play it well. She is the only player on her Team that plays every position, she is impossible to put on the bench.

(At 10 DD tried out for a 12U Team, HC asked what position she played. They thought it was funny when I told them she did not have one. He said he would fix it, DD played every position. She is always on the field somewhere)

Last edited:

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
She just turned 7, and shes on a travel team??? She needs to learn and develop at multiple positions. Do not hold your dd back because YOU think she is great at one spot. Let her grow like a flower in the spring.

Yes you are overreacting..........

Aug 3, 2013
You need to help make/allow her to become a softball player and not a ss, 2b, 3b, of, etc. I would hope she gets to play any and all positions. She will be a better softball player if she does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi