New HOH Catchers Mitt! Thoughts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Number 1: Agreed
Number 2: Yea I think I now agree....visibility.
Number 3: Went Black Finger and Web but Tan Heel
Number 4: I'll take your word for it but I'm worried about break in time. I too have had historically long break-in periods. That's why we thought try soft. What's the risk using soft?

Updated: https://gloves.custom.rawlings.com/design/69ec5e82
Much better, go for the BOA wrist lining, it's a synthetic wool to mimic the old wool shearling on the old school Rawlings.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
What's the risk using soft?
I've heard this but I don't know how true it is? I've heard with the firm break-in that Rawlings uses thicker / stouter thumb & pinky stays, but again I don't know how true that is?

For a catchers mitt, I'd probably go for middle of the road standard break-in. Remember in catchers mitts, it's the palm pad that kicks your butt, not just the leather!

I've heard this but I don't know how true it is? I've heard with the firm break-in that Rawlings uses thicker / stouter thumb & pinky stays, but again I don't know how true that is?

For a catchers mitt, I'd probably go for middle of the road standard break-in. Remember in catchers mitts, it's the palm pad that kicks your butt, not just the leather!

That was the whole reason we went with the firm option. I had read that with that option you get thicker leather, better finger stays etc. I will say if you put it next to a standard off the shelf HoH it is clearly built better so perhaps is true.

Also @ANNASDAD you hurt my feelings! :LOL:

Nov 18, 2015
I was just watching an Aso video last night as a refresher before I start the CMW-3001 break-in - he was doing a baseball catchers mitt, and seemed to suggest that for catcher's mitts (or at least, the A2000 he was working on), he didn't have to worry about pounding too much on the thumb area b/c there wasn't a stay in there to break (he's made it a point in his other videos with fielding gloves about staying away from the thumb area with the mallet).

I don't know if this is b/c the A2000 doesn't have a stay? Or Wilson maybe uses thicker leather vs. plastic in their catchers gloves? I'm not even 100% sure what a stay is - I'll find the video when I get home - maybe Mr. Schmick or AD could clarify the actual construction for us.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I was just watching an Aso video last night as a refresher before I start the CMW-3001 break-in - he was doing a baseball catchers mitt, and seemed to suggest that for catcher's mitts (or at least, the A2000 he was working on), he didn't have to worry about pounding too much on the thumb area b/c there wasn't a stay in there to break (he's made it a point in his other videos with fielding gloves about staying away from the thumb area with the mallet).

I don't know if this is b/c the A2000 doesn't have a stay? Or Wilson maybe uses thicker leather vs. plastic in their catchers gloves? I'm not even 100% sure what a stay is - I'll find the video when I get home - maybe Mr. Schmick or AD could clarify the actual construction for us.
Honestly my comment about the stays was based solely on my custom fielders gloves, I've never owned either a Rawlings or Wilson catchers mitt, much less a custom mitt! And I've never been inside of a catchers mitt, so I could be entirely wrong about the stays inside of one! Schmick, you're up!

Oct 4, 2018
I just finished breaking in an A2000 catchers mitt. And based on my DD's performance and comments, I did a good job.

Most of my work was on the heel area and the pocket. It was also pretty tight where the web met the palm. So worked that a lot too.

I did nothing on the thumb. And I watched all the videos. :p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma