New here

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2015
Kansas City
I'm new here and have enjoyed reading the past post by others. My dd is 8yo and doing well just moved to left. I will say that dfp put a lot into perspective for me in terms of how to handle the game as a parent. This has been an eye opening experience about the game and has greatly changed how I'm going to approach it. Thank you to all that have willingly discussed your experiences it has helped tremendously.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I'm new here and have enjoyed reading the past post by others. My dd is 8yo and doing well just moved to left. I will say that dfp put a lot into perspective for me in terms of how to handle the game as a parent. This has been an eye opening experience about the game and has greatly changed how I'm going to approach it. Thank you to all that have willingly discussed your experiences it has helped tremendously.

Hm. The whole how to handle it thing. It is easy to fall into either the obsession mode or else the just leave me out of it mode.

I try to remember the following:

1. It's just a game. It's great as long as your DD is having fun, and not good at all if she's miserable.
2. It's about your DD, not you. If she enjoys softball but is the worst player on the team she should continue. If she hates it and is the best player on the team, time to quit.
3. If you play long enough, the bad calls that help your DD and her team balance out the bad calls that hurt them. Yes, it is truly painful to see your DD called out when she's really safe or have her team lose a close one because of some bad calls.
4. Every kid is different. What works for one kid might work for yours, or it may not. Use your judgement.
5. Kids change their interests at the drop of a hat. Your DD could be super excited about softball, and then give it up a few months later.
6. Very few girls get a full ride D-1 scholarship. A couple of girls DD 1 used to play with are playing college ball now -- one is a total monster hitter for a D-3 school, the other is a juco pitcher. Those were the top players on her TB team.
7. You and your DD can get a lot out of softball, and she may surprise you. Some of the ways my kids surprised me was by showing more insight and maturity in situations than I expected for their age. In the end, that is more important than the game stats.

Mar 20, 2015
NW Az
Just remember : Girls softball is "like a box of chocolates" Never know what your going to get, but it sure is SWEET!