New coach Hitting help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 4, 2012
My scenario.

I am helping with an 8-u rec ball team, most of the girls are coming over from playing slow pitch, and I have been put in charge of hitting, because my daughter hits the ball pretty good. I have worked with her quite a bit and she has a hitting coach she sees once a week for her travel team.

First what are some good drills to do. 3-4 coaches mostly uninvolved parents. 1 1/2 hours tonight in a gym (raining here) I have a few T's and some wiffle balls.

Second, how do I approach changing a kids swing? I know if some coach that I didnt really know started jacking with my daughters swing I wouldnt be happy.

Thanks

I have read the word the Matrix but cannot really find any info... Any help would be appreciated

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Another thing is pay attention to the Player’s bat size, a general observation is that at this age a lot of the Player’s bats are way too big for them. Hand me downs or the parent think with a bigger bat the player will hit better, whatever.

Apr 4, 2012
Thanks,

I will check out the drills page. What is a good rule of thumb on bat size? My dd uses a 29-19 aluminum. She has a 29-18 composite but she has trouble hitting with it. I have noticed several of the girls on the team are swinging 25-26 inch bats, or dont have one at all.

Sorry about the questions. I am a basketball coach trying to learn.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I would swing -11 or -12 bats untill they get older. If you have a big strong girl she could swing a -10
Lighter is better than too heavy

SL

Oct 25, 2009
With an 8U rec team I believe the main focus should be on swinging at moving balls. Lots and lots of front toss, whether game speed or not. They MUST get lots of swings.

That being said, they need to practice lots of fundamental mechanics as a group in slow motion and holding their pose at the end of their swing. Put your better batters up front on the first row so the lesser skilled batters can see them.

Under the Model Swings thread there is a 9-year-old batter. See that post; that swing should be your goal.

Teach fundamentals but make sure they have ample opportunity to try to hit the ball. Make sure they understand where they are supposed to be at contact. I find that to be an issue even at HS age with a lot of kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole