New bat soon - what should I get?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Big Dave

Sitting on a bucket
Jan 11, 2013
Oregon
So both of my DDs (15 year old twins) are probably ready for new bats soon. They are both swinging CF5 Hope (2013) 33" -10, have always had good pop. They are strong - 5'8" 150 lbs - both hit the ball hard / HR power. They want to stay with the CF series but what do I get?

1. Try to find the same bat - nice balanced bat
2. CF 5 or 6 Insane - get a little more pop on the big hits?
3. CF 5 or 6 -9 Heavier?

Not sure which way to go? You can only tell so much until the girls get it out for some live game action. Any help or suggestions are welcome! As always, thanks for the help!!

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
We had a -10 cf6, HUGE pop, but dd didn't like how light it felt. We have a 33 cf6 insane, DD has had some great hits with it, first hr of this spring was with it, but she hardly ever uses it...not really sure why.
If it were me, and the girl like the cf5, I would probably lean toward the same 33, but in a -9.

Oct 10, 2011
cf

DD has a 33 -9 that she likes better than the insane she tried and it has great pop. She does like her 34 -10 Mako better. Maybe at 5-8 150 they should try a 34 -10 CF series or a 33 -9 CF.

Jan 13, 2013
If your looking for a Demarini, you can follow this link to their demo house page. They have reps that will let you try a bat for a week for free, deposit required. We did this before I purchased my DDs last bat. Just find your local rep.

Demo House | DeMarini

Big Dave

Sitting on a bucket
Jan 11, 2013
Oregon
Heading down to the local shop with the twins to hit a few different CF's - including the CF 7's ($$$) cause dad is a sucker and his girls have him wrapped around their little fingers!! Lol Gonna look at a Mako too - haven't heard any breaking issues like some of the others like the Legit. Anybodys DD swing both the CF and the Mako? Any difference in sweet spot or pop? I understand the high end bats are awesome for certain hitters, but remember/think power hitter - heavy contact hitter. Just got stats from HS coach and one has 1 SO, the other 2 SOs this year. So they both are hitters if that helps.

Oct 10, 2011
mako and CF

The Mako has the largest sweet spot out there. Hold them next to each other and you'll see that the barrel is longer on the Mako. Both are very good but the Mako is better for my DD.
I still wouldn't change their bats though if they are successful.

Last edited:

Big Dave

Sitting on a bucket
Jan 11, 2013
Oregon
Well, for both of the girls, it came down to the CF 7 Hope and the Mako - the CF 7s won out. The Mako is a nice bat but is weighted slightly different. The girls didn't have as clean of hits with the Mako, so rather than hoping for a quick adjustment period of a new brand of bat, I think the twins made a good decision to stick with the CFs! Especially since HS playoffs start in 2 weeks! They also swung the Easton fx1 -9 - total different swing with that one - nice pop when they connected and no sting. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Have seen a lot of threads with Makos cracking. Which is sad cause my DD is an Easton girl. We are sticking with her Easton FS1 until they get the kinks out of the Mako. Saw lots of players over the weekend on TV swinging Xenos...

longball00

Softball is my obsession
Apr 8, 2014
Willoughby, Ohio
Have seen a lot of threads with Makos cracking. Which is sad cause my DD is an Easton girl. We are sticking with her Easton FS1 until they get the kinks out of the Mako. Saw lots of players over the weekend on TV swinging Xenos...

I have seen less threads on the Mako breaking than any of the other new bats out. My DD has had her first one since last August, and it has over 2K swings and is on fire with no signs of giving in. No paint cracks, or anything. We got her the next size up about 2 weeks ago, and she's been putting in the work to get used to it, so we will see how that one reacts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah