new bat looks funny in slo-mo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
We looked at bats over the weekend and came home with an Andersen KFP. she likes it so I took this Ubersense video to see how she was swinging. if you can play this video in slo-mo, you'll see the bat flopping around!
I guess it is flexible.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2011
OH - IO!
Yes, all the composite bats do this, they are made in two pieces and will bend back at contact and then spring back like a trampoline which is why the ball flies off of them (and also why they break fairly easy).

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Yes, all the composite bats do this, they are made in two pieces and will bend back at contact and then spring back like a trampoline which is why the ball flies off of them (and also why they break fairly easy).

The KFP is a one-piece metal bat. Under rated, too.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA

The thing that surprised me is that if you watch this in slo-mo, the bat is bending during the swing with the barrel following the handle. then it catches up just in time for contact, after which it deflects again as if it was rubber and straightens out again.
I had heard people say that this is what was supposed to happen, but I didn't think it was any more visible than the bat and ball both squishing on contact and springing back to life.

Oct 25, 2009
I recall in a post some time back that it is something in the way the camera captures the frames that gives the illusion that the bat is bending.

The bat appears bent before it even gets to the ball.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
I recall in a post some time back that it is something in the way the camera captures the frames that gives the illusion that the bat is bending.

The bat appears bent before it even gets to the ball.

+1. I have video of myself swinging a wood bat that looks like it is flexing just like the above video when you slow it down. I can't explain the technical side of it, just know that its not actually flexing like that.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I have video of her swinging with a metalwood bat but the bat is too blurry to see if there's any deformation in the bat when viewed in slo mo. the better lighting outdoors definitely makes for better images. I just checked a baseball player's swing and his bat does not look bent though whenn it blurs just before/at contact it may infer the illusion of bending. You really need to see that video in slo mo to see what I'm talking about. unfortunatelky, i don't have the means to save it in slo-mo and post.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA