New bat for daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2014
I am wondering if anyone can tell me what be a decent bat for me to buy my 12 year old daughter. She plays in a local travel team (not super competitive). I'm not opposed to buying used but what to keep the price at $100 or less. Thanks!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
You don't have to buy used, there are a few stores that get stuck with bats they couldn't sell and drop the price a ton because these are now a model year or two old and they have to move them. They might not be the current best, but they were at one point a great bat when they came out and were much more expensive then. Then you still get a warranty also (most of the time).

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I usually buy DD's bats at the end of the season and the last one was 3 years old when purchased. I typically save 100-200 per bat. That way if she doesn't like it I don't feel so bad about adding it to my burglar prevention collection.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
closeoutbats.com and justbats.com are worth a look - look for 2012 and 2013 models. If you plan to play USSSA, make sure it has the new stamp

Dec 25, 2010
I am wondering if anyone can tell me what be a decent bat for me to buy my 12 year old daughter. She plays in a local travel team (not super competitive). I'm not opposed to buying used but what to keep the price at $100 or less. Thanks!
if you're looking for a used bat check out the forums at softballfans.com under the selling/fastpitch section. As far as I know that's the best place to look

Feb 4, 2014
Right now she has a Demarini Bustos which is 30" long, 17oz and has a drop of -13. We are thinking of a 31" and a bit heavier. Color doesn't matter. Not sure how much heavier...she is not a power hitter and about 5'4".

Jun 24, 2013
Her current bat sounds quite a bit small to me.

I would be looking at a 32 or 31 – 10. Forget the make and see if you can get some different size bats for her to swing.

Feb 7, 2013
Right now she has a Demarini Bustos which is 30" long, 17oz and has a drop of -13. We are thinking of a 31" and a bit heavier. Color doesn't matter. Not sure how much heavier...she is not a power hitter and about 5'4".

I think you are making the right decision to move her up to 31" and less drop maybe -10? Whatever bat you choose make sure it's composite. If fastpitch is her number one sport and she practices and plays a lot, I have no problem buying a high end bat. It will make a difference in her hitting and is well worth the extra money you spend. And you can always sell it and make some of your investment back.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2013
No, I think it might be the right size.

It would be nice if she could swing some different size bats before you buy.

(Each player is different which is why it would be nice to get your DD’s hands on some different sized bats. 12YO DD is swinging a 32/22 and is 5’ and <100lbs. That does not mean a 32/22 is right for your DD even though she is bigger)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207