New bat for 12u Slapper?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
DD is small for her age (11), but she is strong for her size. She has been using a '19 LXT 30" -12 since June of 2019. This season she is working on her slapping and only slaps during games. She does hit away from the right side as well during practice. Last time we went bat shopping, we went to a store that had a Hit Trax setup and tested numerous bats. While she did hit a little further with some of the other bats she tried, she had the best average with the LXT 30" -12. How do you decide when it is time to move up in bat size? How do you pick a bat for slapping? Should we not worry about a slapping specific bat and do the same testing as last time in a Hit Trax cage?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Apr 30, 2018
Just went to a Hit Trax cage to see if my DD was ready to move up in bat size. The label is wrong for the LXT, it is really a 30" -12. Wanted to try the new LXT in a 31" -11, but they didn't have it in stock. DD did a round of warm up swings first before the comparison. They only let you hit the Lite Flight balls, so the numbers by them selves don't mean much, but the comparison should be accurate. Based on these numbers, I don't think it makes sense to change. It is also making me think I screwed up a couple of years ago when I bought her the LXT and it was too big. I would have thought for sure from going from 9 yo to 11 that she would be ready for a bigger bat. She really hasn't hit a big growth spurt yet though.
f4c4770714ed7d0cbee2a0e49f17a08e.jpg

Sep 19, 2018
MY dd 9yo year she was using a 28-11 and iby the end of the season, it seemed a bit small. At the end of the season, I bought her a Demarini Zen 30-11. I thought with a years growth she's be ready for the 30. She barely grew that fall/winter and started her 10yo year with the 30-11 still a bit too much bat. Covid hit and it was not till July that she started to swing and the bat started to look right. And by then the 28 was definitely too small. She finally started to grow this winter. She is now 4'11'' and the 30-11 still looks like the right size for her.

So yeah, if the bat was a little too much to begin with, it is possible to get 2 years out of a bat. Don't rush to go big.

Jun 19, 2016
It am not a fan of any -12 composite bat, but in general a CF is probably the best for slappers because of the long barrel. I would move her to a drop -11 or maybe even a drop 10 in Demarini. Anything else I would sticks with a drop -11.

Apr 30, 2018
Finally got a chance to measure my DD. She is 4'8" and 80 lbs. She is the smallest girl on the team, but also the fastest. From the Hit Trax data and some of the other posts on here, sounds like a 30" is still the right size. Went ahead and bought a Camwood Bat to do some overload, underload work. Will bring the bat to practice and work with the rest of the team as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06