Need the Blues opinion on a pitching thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
In the pitching forum, the thread 'Is a fastball really just a drop ball? ', some are recommending a dropball be released behind the hip. I have not stuck my nose in the pitching regs for a handful of years but if my memory is correct, doesnt it say the ball must be released 'in front of the hip'?

Is that not a regulation anymore? Is releasing the ball behind the hip OK now?

I believe that would be considered an illegal pitch and added that opinion to that thread. Am I wrong here?

Thanks.

Hal

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Hal you know much more about this than I do but I will say that's one I have not heard of. I have heard multiple PCs recommend a release at "the back of the hip" including one who was a former NCAA and NFP pitcher.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hal you know much more about this than I do but I will say that's one I have not heard of. I have heard multiple PCs recommend a release at "the back of the hip" including one who was a former NCAA and NFP pitcher.

They are describing it as being released at 7:00. That is well behind the back hip.

I dont know on this one. I know many instructors out there will teach something illegal with the justification being "Its OK cause the blues dont ever call you on it". This might fall into the same category?? Maybe??

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Maybe or it could just be a terminology mismatch; that is maybe some are using 7 o'clock to mean back of the hip? If you release it too far back I just don't see how you can not bounce it in front of home plate.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Maybe or it could just be a terminology mismatch; that is maybe some are using 7 o'clock to mean back of the hip? If you release it too far back I just don't see how you can not bounce it in front of home plate.

I dont believe so in this case. Several years ago I was asked to endorse the video in question. It specifically demonstrated a release point behind the hip and the wording was "Behind the hip". I guess it may have been toned down so not a 'red flag' statement.

That was one reason I did not endorse it. However it is worded it is still against the pitching regs, IMO.

Jun 18, 2010
Along those same lines Hal, the definition of a legal delivery also states:

The hand shall be below the hip and the wrist not father from the body than the elbow.

I see a lot of pitcher's where their wrist appears to be farther (albeit slightly) from their body than their elbow.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Along those same lines Hal, the definition of a legal delivery also states:

The hand shall be below the hip and the wrist not father from the body than the elbow.

I see a lot of pitcher's where their wrist appears to be farther (albeit slightly) from their body than their elbow.

Different issue completely.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
In the pitching forum, the thread 'Is a fastball really just a drop ball? ', some are recommending a dropball be released behind the hip. I have not stuck my nose in the pitching regs for a handful of years but if my memory is correct, doesnt it say the ball must be released 'in front of the hip'?

Is that not a regulation anymore? Is releasing the ball behind the hip OK now?

I believe that would be considered an illegal pitch and added that opinion to that thread. Am I wrong here?

Thanks.

Hal

Without getting into all the different wording in the rule sets, ASA, ISF, NFHS, NCAA, etc. all pretty much state the release must be pass or in front of the vertical or straight line of the pitcher's body. Basically, in front of the hip as the pitcher is facing the plate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie