Need some advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
related question, how can i find time to get extra work in with DD outside the team activities without it killing her enthusiasm. her TB is playing a pretty full tourney slate this spring (3 one day RR tourney, like 6 or 7 two day tourneys), a TB league schedule (16 games on weeknights), a rec schedule (14 games on weeknights), plus private lessons (generally about twice every three weeks). just fitting all that in is a struggle. and she needs some down time too (generaly, if they have no tourney on a weekend, I want her to have at least one day completely off from softball).

Sep 28, 2015
Slowcelica,
Playing IF and pitch is very difficult to do especially as they get closer to 14’s.

I would make sure it is a confidence/aggressiveness issue and not technique. At some point the coaches will move on if there is an issue your DD keeps repeating and pretty much every time the parent is the last to be aware of it. Just ask the coaches and make sure you understand the issue so you know what to work on with your DD!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
related question, how can i find time to get extra work in with DD outside the team activities without it killing her enthusiasm. her TB is playing a pretty full tourney slate this spring (3 one day RR tourney, like 6 or 7 two day tourneys), a TB league schedule (16 games on weeknights), a rec schedule (14 games on weeknights), plus private lessons (generally about twice every three weeks). just fitting all that in is a struggle. and she needs some down time too (generaly, if they have no tourney on a weekend, I want her to have at least one day completely off from softball).

Holy moly! Don't add any more! IMO, she's overloaded. Why is she playing both TB and rec?

One thing to consider is whether playing that many games is really helping her get better as efficiently as she could be. Yes, games are important, but if some of them get in the way of focused practice on specific skills that need work, it might not be the best use of her time.

Also...Rest is important. Very important.

May 6, 2015
yeah, it kind of snukc up on us how much she would play this spring.

when we signed on for TB team, we did not realize they were doing league as well as tourney slate (we were not the only ones, some of our players actually play for other teams in TB league).

as for rec, she wants to play with her friends from school (we are not close to school district that most of her TB is in). Last spring (when she did not play rec), they talked about league championship, rec AS, when she would chime in, talking about USSSA states, USSSA national tournament, they looked at her like she was from Mars, they had no idea what she was talking about. Generally, most of the girls playing travel in her school were playing local "travel" league (very watered down, see is TB killing rec thread, one or two very local unsanctioned tourneys). Also, she wanted to make certain she had somewhere she would gets lots of reps at her preferred position. so that is how we ended up with games scheduled 4 nights a week, plus tourneys every other weekend or more. of course rainouts will also occur, but she has no where to do any work inside at home either.

I just told her it is OK to tell rec coach you would prefer not to Catch in a game (played rec n a tuesday, had just caught 20+ innings the prior WE, and played in TB league game Monday night)

she is getting instruction generally one afternoon/night a week (her instructor also coaches, so WE are out during season), and this WE is free, and we got rained out past sunday (and we told her to just rest, hangout, did some shopping, etc.) the hard part is her finding the time to do homework her instructor gives her (she also has after school activities 4 days a week, drama, chorus, etc.). she will run through brick walls for her instructor, just needs to find the time to do it.

J.Galt

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Take her to a fielding clinic, Ken and Roseanne Briggs gives a good one every Monday night. You'll see all the girls, even ones already signed to play at P5 schools, will boot the ball on occasion. The they'll get back in line and go at it again

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06