need help!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 27, 2013
My glove for 3 years tore in the webbing yesterday, to broken to bother fixing. Just got a new glove and cooked it, however it's not really broken in yet. Now here's the big problem, I have my first school game Friday, and a tournament this weekend.
Any ideas on what I should do, any methods to break it in quicker??
Thankyou!!

((also, RIP to my lovely glove, you will be missed))

Feb 10, 2013
I have always used Rawlings GLOVEOLIUM...may be spelled wrong..lol..but most softball places carry it...put on a rag apply to outside and inside work glove, repeat...2 to 3 coats no drying time and glove is broken in to perfection..i have done this on catchers mitts, fielding gloves...works every time..elapsed time 45min....I also heard of shaving cream but never tried that one...the Rawlings Gloveolium is in a pump bottle with red label and runs around 8$..hope it helps good luck

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Place a ball in the pocket, with the open part facing the rear tire, back onto it where the tire has an inch or so on the glove but not "on top" of the ball. In another words, you want to stretch the leather, by doing this it will "soften" and form a good pocket. This is an old trick I did when young, and do it for DD when she needs a new glove.

Edit: Best if you can do it over a night, at least 12 hours.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Place a ball in the pocket, with the open part facing the rear tire, back onto it where the tire has an inch or so on the glove but not "on top" of the ball. In another words, you want to stretch the leather, by doing this it will "soften" and form a good pocket. This is an old trick I did when young, and do it for DD when she needs a new glove.

Edit: Best if you can do it over a night, at least 12 hours.

Somehow I expect you can advise whether this also works well with homer umpires and amorous boyfriends!

Mar 29, 2012
you should not bake a glove I the oven it damages the leather.

first need the glove like in this video to start the break down
Vinci Shoe Shine - YouTube

Place a ball in it, wrap a rubber band around it, put it under your mattress and sleep on top of it. Then put it on and catch a hundred balls out of a pitching machine. the glove needs pressure put on it and needs the pocket stretched.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Somehow I expect you can advise whether this also works well with homer umpires and amorous boyfriends!

I usually just clip the umpires when I drive out of the parking lot, never more than 70-75 mph though. All the ex-boyfriends have their picture on the back of milk cartons............for some reason. :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole