Need Help!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
Our newly formed travel team played their first tournamant this past weekend. I'll preface this post by saying all of these kids are high level rec ball players. They are pretty strong athletes. They played the field pretty well, and our pitching was very strong, with a few hiccups that chalk up to nerves, and the first time in 4 months that they faced live hitting. We only averaged 4.33 runs against us, but we only scored 2.33. One of the teams had a fireballer that our kids just couldn't catch up with. It was abundantly obvious that these young ladies hadn;t seen this level of pitching in the past...or at least not very often. Our hitters would struggle mightily against our own pitching.

My question is, how do you prepare them for this? What can you do when you only have access to a smaller indoor facility that doesn't allow for live hitting. The only thing I came up with is a drill I ran a few of the girls through at my house tonight during our pitcher/catcher workout in my basement.

I stood 15 feet in front of them and whizzed wiffle balls past them. They all said there's NO WAY they can hit that...it's too fast too close. So then I told them I would count to 3 as I pitched. They needed to start the swing at 2...and I would let go at 3. It took a while... but eventually they all got the timing down. They were swinging on time. They were told to swing....regardless of where it was going...they had to swing "On Time". Then I added a twist. They still started the swing on 2, but I was going to scatter in some fake tosses, where they needed to NOT SWING...or at least check their swing. I know..it's extreme. I'm just trying to convince them that when a ball is coming at them at 55 MPH from 40 feet away, that they can't start their swing when they see that it's a strike or the ball will be in the glove before their bat crosses the hitting zone. The swing has to be started before the pitch is even released....then they need to decide if they continue the swing...or hold up. It was very successful in my mind. Just wondering what else can be done to prep these inexperienced girls for faster pitching that they aren't used to seeing? Is this even an effective drill? I just made it up last night as I was going though ideas of how the heck to help them adjust.

12U by the way...mostly '02s.

Jun 11, 2013
I would continue throwing from close in and try and take wasted motion out of there swings. They are young but will pick it up after awhile. Also work on bunting. If you can't hit the pitcher you can still bunt. Anything to get the ball in play until you get used to it is a positive.

Jul 17, 2012
What do you consider the 'start' of the swing?
I don't want this to get into a high level swing mechanics thread. So for sake of discussion, We'll use my DD, who uses a slight leg lift and pull back of the hands with a slight forward lean on the bat for a load. One of the other test subjects has a similar swing. She is a little more pronounced in her load phase than MOST of the others. Most have a small step and very little stretch and coil. Our 2nd best hitter on the team has a VERY subtle backward weight swift with NO stride at all. She fires her hips and the hands are right behind them. So for my DD, the leg lift into a slight hip coil happens just before my "2" count. For some of the others, they just stride and start the opening of the hips while keeping the hands back. They start on "2".

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
What it is sounds like you are attempting to describe is the "holy grail" to hitting ... and yes it starts prior to the release of the pitch. You're on the right track.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
You state that your hitters would struggle against your own pitchers. How often do you have your pitchers practice with your catchers? Try having your hitters stand in the batters box and work on their timing. Do all aspects of their normal swing without actually swinging. Working on the load and hip fire agaimst your own pitchers may increase their comfort level against other teams.

Sep 3, 2012
Do you have access to a pitching machine? If so turn it up and get after it. Why don't you let your pitcher pitch against your team?

Jul 17, 2012
You state that your hitters would struggle against your own pitchers. How often do you have your pitchers practice with your catchers? Try having your hitters stand in the batters box and work on their timing. Do all aspects of their normal swing without actually swinging. Working on the load and hip fire agaimst your own pitchers may increase their comfort level against other teams.
Actually, we do have our pitchers pitch to our hitters...but we do it for bunting practice. Good idea to add the dry swings. I like it.

Do you have access to a pitching machine? If so turn it up and get after it. Why don't you let your pitcher pitch against your team?

We're indoors. 2 feet of snow on the ground!! Not a full field. Facility is turf covered but only about 100 feet by 100 feet and live batting is not allowed. We do have access to a pitching machine...but I don't like the idea of teaching them the timing aspect of hitting with a machine.

Jul 17, 2012
I would continue throwing from close in and try and take wasted motion out of there swings. They are young but will pick it up after awhile. Also work on bunting. If you can't hit the pitcher you can still bunt. Anything to get the ball in play until you get used to it is a positive.

Well...that's what we did...but the 3rd baseman and 1st baseman adjusted well.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Sounds like your right on to me...
Another good drill I like to do is a full windmill while on my knee about 15' in front of them (behind a screen)
The ball is extremely fast for the distance (approx. 35mph) but it will force them to be moving early and decide if its in their hitting zone early. If it is, then all that's left to do is plant their heel and throw the barrel. Once they get comfortable and confident, then start mixing up speeds and location. Let me know how well this works for you after you try it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g