Need help with my 7 year olds swing (Any help would be appreciated)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 28, 2012
At 7, with that swing, just tell her to keep hitting the snot out of the ball. Thumbs up! And if she can make the ball go into the bucket off the fence every time that would be pretty sweet! :)

If you want to try working in some Happy Gilmore walkup that would be good and is generally fun. I like the step in front pattern like this. (this is self toss, but you get the idea)

Someone else can post the step behind version off the tee.

Good Luck!

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
At 7, with that swing, just tell her to keep hitting the snot out of the ball. Thumbs up! And if she can make the ball go into the bucket off the fence every time that would be pretty sweet! :)

If you want to try working in some Happy Gilmore walkup that would be good and is generally fun. I like the step in front pattern like this. (this is self toss, but you get the idea)

Someone else can post the step behind version off the tee.

Good Luck!

I am with noon. Just keep having fun.

SL

Dec 27, 2014
I appreciate it guys. I am no swing guro by no means. I have just been watching videos of swing mechanics and trying to teach them to my daughter. I just wanted to make sure we were on the right path.

I know it's hard for an adult to be to critical of a 7 year old girl. But by looking at the video, what would u say is the next step we need to work on. Thanks guys!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
es6yig.gif

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
She has a pretty nice sequence.
Things she can have for a better swing.
Softer landing on front leg. Flexed knee, land on inside edge of foot instead of flat footed and stiff legged
Her front arm bar's straight. Maybe some one arm lead arm drills so she will have a bent front elbow in her swing
Fixing her front arm might help the back arm(not) fold underneath.
Stand the bat up abit taller to help her release underneath

I would work on the first two things and see what her swing looks like after that.

Straightleg

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2012
Do don't any drills to fix any "thing". You'll just head down a path of bandaid after duct tape after bailing wire. You'll probably start buying gadgets to fix things and before you know it you'll end up in an ISO torture device in a rebel rack with bands around your appendages.

Happy Gilmore

Seriously. Start with arms/hands relaxed and bat in a position just like the first frame of the GIF that FFS made.

From there just do happy Gilmore walk up off a tee like the guy in the video above with self toss.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
When I get to the cages before my hitters, this is generally one of the routines I personally go through while waiting for them to show up ... self-toss walk-ups. I don't make the girls do this ..... even those coming back from college tend to be 'challenged' by it.

23tozo9.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors