Need help with DD's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Both super star hitters.
alexhugoside_zps0de127e8.gif

AdGonz_side.gif

OK…honest truth. One has a bunch of slack and honestly my first view of…I thought "not many girls have the athletics and timing to be successful for long with that.
The other….THE ULTIMATE! the best handset…the best "short to"…the best suddenness…the best adjustability EVER!
Just talking mechanics. Not results. Agon has the best mechanics to copy….period.

Her hands are almost behind her back elbow. He always has a tight hand set. Slack removed.

Feel how he rides the coil in this swing. He could ride it longer, then sudden. He could ride very short, then sudden. A sudden launch, that is timed by riding the coil.

Both my bat and ball kids are now start with an open stance, coil around the back leg, and latest most important move is "front thigh, front side scrunch to time the pitch". It was a drill I was watching the Florida Gators do. It has turned into a great GREAT timing mechanic for my dd to ride the coil out.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
and latest most important move is "front thigh, front side scrunch to time the pitch". It was a drill I was watching the Florida Gators do. It has turned into a great GREAT timing mechanic for my dd to ride the coil out

you are saying like a flamingo drill but perhaps less exaggerated in the actual swing? just trying to understand...

btw, it's so funny how you can do *drills* with girls to get them to ride the coil (one of my very favorite terms too) like flamingo or babe ruth/feet-together and even explain the reason for the drill and then they face the pressure of game speed and they immediately are reaching out with their front leg to get that foot down as soon as possible :(

it it was easy it would be soccer....

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
... and latest most important move is "front thigh, front side scrunch to time the pitch". It was a drill I was watching the Florida Gators do. It has turned into a great GREAT timing mechanic for my dd to ride the coil out.

Can you elaborate? Or point me to where you might've discussed in the past? My DD has adopted a slightly open stance and rides the coil well, but timing vs. live is not her strong point.

Also, I'm a UGA fan and agree on Hugo. The swing you commented on isn't her best, but my impression remains that it's an ordinary swing being launched by a great athlete who makes good decisions at the plate and has a warrior mentality as a hitter and competitor in general.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah

I've never seen this one. While I think her hands go down too far, I really like what she's doing, particularly with her lower half. I was just working with a girl last night on a double-tap with her stride foot to ratchet her hips around the back hip (Cabrera use to do this). I might well have her do what the girl in the clip is doing (Cabrera-like lower half now... I think).

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This here is what I refer to as the "Stork Drill". One of the hitting groups I work with refers to it as the "Florida Drill". LC used to refer to it as the "Ethier Drill". Also referred to as the "Lead Leg Lift Drill".

2zdu5gh.gif

29dxtv9.gif

Last edited:

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Great GIF's in this thread. OP, Your DD has a good swing, just a little tweaking and you're there. For my DD, pointing out WHEN the U gets rocked was and is a struggle. Looking at the 2 GIF's above you can see that the hands are loaded/ being loaded as the hips take the body forward, NOT before.

For the OP, look at the connection between the top hand and the barrel in the GIF's provided and you will see a common occurrence in the angle between the forearm/wrist and the barrel. 90 degrees is a maintenance angle during launch. See GIF below..
fielderback_zpse81d8c63.gif

Now look at your DD's angle and see how it changes as She takes the rear elbow up then slams it down... It doesn't affect the barrel BUT it should....
i5stvk.gif

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles