Need Help Selecting New Bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2011
Texas
My second year 12u DD needs a new bat. She is 5'5" and about 110lbs. I want to spend some money and get her a good quality bad but I'm not sure about the size and weight. I was leaning towards a Catalyst (-12) but not really sure. Is she to young for a Xeno? What about the Demarini's? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Jan 25, 2011
IMO, I would stay away from a (-12) go with a (-10),could go with a 31" or 32" bat,I would lean towards the 32" bat myself.My dd has a stealth speed,NanoTek,and just got the DeMarini Insane.The Insane is endloaded,but that has now become my dd's favorite,out of all of them.It really, IMO comes down to feel and what your dd feels comfortable with,she has 2 Miken Halo lights which are 31" & 32" (-12) just to light.Well those are my 2 cents so take it or leave it,good luck to your dd,by the way have heared alot of good things about the Xeno on this forum.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I second the size. You should be looking into 32"(-10). At her age, find a decent bat she likes.
If she grows at the pace of my dd at that age, you will be shopping again in 12 months

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes, to the 32 inch, 22 ounce bat. A -12 would be much too light for her. Are you reading the similar post and seeing the bats for $99.00, today? Mine has already shipped.

Jun 24, 2009
My second year 12u DD needs a new bat. She is 5'5" and about 110lbs. I want to spend some money and get her a good quality bad but I'm not sure about the size and weight. I was leaning towards a Catalyst (-12) but not really sure. Is she to young for a Xeno? What about the Demarini's? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
The Xeno is a good bat,and no your DD is not too young for one. The size all the folks are telling you is what I would recommend.32/22. If she has been swinging a much smaller bat,give her some time to get use to the bat before she plays with it.

Nov 18, 2011
Texas
Thank you for the advice. Has any one had any warranty issues with bats purchased off of Ebay? That seems to be the cheapest place to find a new Xeno, but I'm not sure you can get a valid receipt for warranty. Thanks again for the help.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Should say in the ad, if you buy from someone with a good reputation it should not be a problem.

If you buy a 2011 it looks like justbats.com or other Internet vendors have very similar pricing to ebay. For the money you can save right now I would go the 2011 route.

Purchased a 2011 XENO for DD of ebay a few months ago, received it a couple days in perfect shape. Did not have any Issues with the bat so did not have to worry about the warranty.

1st “real” bat DD has swung so I cannot compare it to the other higher end bats but it is awesome. :) DD is younger and smaller then your DD, swinging the 30/20 with no problem.

If you haven't yet, read this post too:

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-equipment/7909-median-priced-bat-recommendation.html

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2011
Bucket
We bought my daughter a 2012 Xeno off ebay back in September. Before I bid I asked the seller if it came with a valid receipt in case of any warranty issues. The seller sent the receipt and bat. In October the bat develops a rattle and Louisville Slugger sent out a new bat after I sent the old one in with the receipt. No problems at all!

Jul 14, 2010
New England
I agree with everyone on the size, a 32/22 is what I was swinging around that age. I've swung a Xeno before (a teammate's) and it was nice, but about two months later it broke. I've heard too many stories of the Xeno breaking before its time. I just got myself an East Stealth Speed 2010, and would highly recommend it. Because of the new 2012's that just came out, you can get the 2010's for a great price. And I wouldn't worry about buying the newest model. When I bought my first composite, I picked the 2008 DeMarini Phenix over the new 2009 CF3.

Here is a link for a 2010 Stealth: http://www.hocksports.com/easton-stealth-ssr3b-fp-10-fastpitch-softball-bat/

Also, check out the slightly less expensive 2010 Synergy (my good friend has one and loves it). It's just like the stealth but it's 1 piece instead of 2.
Sale! Buy Easton SRV4B Synergy Speed -10 Fastpitch Bat 2010 REVIEWS: FREE SHIPPING Length/Weight 29/19 inch/oz 31/21 inch/oz 32/22 inch/oz 34/24 inch/oz Drop Drop-10 inch/oz 99-Cent Bat Offer No, thanks EASTON Reflex SX81B (+0.99) 28/16 inch/oz EASTO

Good luck! Remember, just let your daughter swing it and she will know which one feels right!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdowowihcw