Bat Recommendation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2021
Hey all.
My daughter is 15 plays varsity and travel. Small for age, 5ft about 110lbs. In 12u she was swinging a 2019 xeno 31 drop 11 and loved it. In 14u she started using a 2022 Ghost 32 drop 10. Sometimes connects but for the most part doesn’t get it through the zone quickly. Grabs her xeno now and makes contact but the bat is dead. Any recommendations on something to replace the xeno?

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
In my opinion, 32 is too big for her size. Could probably be at 30 still, maybe 31. Put her arm straight out to the side, put the knob centered on her sternum. Can she touch the end, or an inch short from fingertips to end of bat? Go with whatever length that is.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Typically, you measure from shoulder point to shoulder point and double that measurement for length. You want to go with a drop 10 weight if possible. The past year's Ghosts have weighed in at almost a full ounce overweight than sticker. This years models are pretty much as advertised. With all of that said, you might want to look at the "Bat Weight Data Base" that @Eric F started on here to look at bats that are closer to that true drop 10 weight before your next purchase. I would recommend researching the weight of the past Xeno as to the weight differential between the drop 11 advertised weight and the true weight. This will give you the differential that you can play with so to speak. Also remember, an inch of length acts on swing speed the same as adding an ounce of weight as a general rule...even more so for smaller players. So going from the 31/-11 Xeno to a 32/-10 Ghost, you've basically added 3 ounces of weight to her bat which will negatively affect her swing speed. With a smaller player this is a definite no no. No wonder she is struggling.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Typically, you measure from shoulder point to shoulder point and double that measurement for length. You want to go with a drop 10 weight if possible. The past year's Ghosts have weighed in at almost a full ounce overweight than sticker. This years models are pretty much as advertised. With all of that said, you might want to look at the "Bat Weight Data Base" that @Eric F started on here to look at bats that are closer to that true drop 10 weight before your next purchase. I would recommend researching the weight of the past Xeno as to the weight differential between the drop 11 advertised weight and the true weight. This will give you the differential that you can play with so to speak. Also remember, an inch of length acts on swing speed the same as adding an ounce of weight as a general rule...even more so for smaller players. So going from the 31/-11 Xeno to a 32/-10 Ghost, you've basically added 3 ounces of weight to her bat which will negatively affect her swing speed. With a smaller player this is a definite no no. No wonder she is struggling.
True, I went with Ghost drop 11 knowing it was basically a -10

May 19, 2017
My dd is just about the same size, 5' 1" and 115. She still swings a 31" She struggled with the 32/-10 ghost even though she hits well with her 31/-9 Anderson. She has been using her Ghost advanced 31/-11 lately. Unfortunately she broke it this past weekend so we are looking to get another one. No warranty.

Apr 8, 2019
True, I went with Ghost drop 11 knowing it was basically a -10
Whatever bat you go with, I'd recommend weighing it on a cheap kitchen scale (Amazon approx $10.) It will be accurate, but it doesn't really matter if it is. You are just going for the differences between bats. I bought a Ghost recently and the weight was dead perfect at -10.

Jun 14, 2021
Thank you all for the responses. Definitely going to get her in on a 31”. Going to try to find a place in Long Island with a decent selection for her to swing and feel.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Thank you all for the responses. Definitely going to get her in on a 31”. Going to try to find a place in Long Island with a decent selection for her to swing and feel.
Jason, I'm on Long Island myself. The best place to try out bats is the Dick's in the Roosevelt Field Mall. They have the Hit Trax cage inside where you can hit softees off the tee. I was there a few weeks ago so my daughter could try out the new DeMarini CF, and they had the CF, LXT, Ghost Advanced, and DS. It's not exactly the same as hitting real softball's, but you should at least get a better feel for the bat. I believe it's the only Dick's on LI that has the Hit Trax cage.

When you decide what bat you want, text me at 631-942-3516 for a much better price than what you'll get at Dick's.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802