need advice to help improve team batting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 30, 2011
Hi,

I coach a 13U boys team in New Zealand. My boys are a lot smaller than the top teams in our league are most of them are really struggling with the fast pitchers. Recently a new batting cage has opened in our area so I'm going to encourage the parents to bring the boys along once a week. My question is should I give the boys batting practice or should I introduce them to bunting and slap hitting. What is easier to teach and learn?

We are approaching mid season and the kids will have a break for 6 to 7 weeks over our summer school holidays so I'm looking for advice on what to concentrate on over this period to be more competitive in February when the season resumes. And softball is a minority sport here, we don’t have access to batting coaches. Cheers

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Right view pro has a instructional tape for around 65$ Hand path and other things are talked about. Be a good place to start.

I used the girls addition, but the boys one would be the same or close.

Teach them to hit. Bunting and slapping should come second in my opinion.

Best to you

Straightleg

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Not sure that bunting and slapping are as effective for baseball, especially at the older age groups where they using 70 ft or longer basepaths. Slapping and bunting are effective in fastpitch because of the 60 ft base paths, and girls who can go home to first in under 3 seconds. Bunts in baseball are usually sacrifices.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think he is talking about Boy's fastpitch softball.

Starting slapping would be last on my list mid-season. I also would not be afraid to go to a baseball hitting coach if there is one around.

Mar 30, 2011
Yes I’m talking about boys fastpitch softball. Thanks for the feedback. I will try and get them some instruction at the batting cage.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
What is your goal? To win games or to teach these boys to hit? If it is to win games, then you will teach them to do whatever will help you win. Personally, I would teach sound mechanics and then work on the other stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission