Need Advice/Should DD continue playing softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2009
Thanks again for the replies. I need these insight into all this madness. Is it really worth all the money invested and time. I guess it is if my dd really enjoys it to the fullest. And who knows where she will go. I guess I could spend my money on something else such as bars, fishing and many othe things. We only live this life once and if this is what my dd likes then so be it. You are right though. I should focus more on the academics rather than worrying about a return on my investment dollar in softball.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You've only got two years left with your DD. Spend that time building memories.

DD will learn a lot about *you* by you being the helping her learn the game and pursue her dream. My best memories of my DDs playing sports isn't the games, it is the time in the backyard or in the gym.

Whether she gets her dream or not is irrelevant. In sports, no one ever gets all of their dream. Babe Ruth holds the record for strike outs. Miichael Jordan didn't win a championship for 11 of the 17 years he played pro-ball. In the end, all athletes lose. The journey is really the whole point of playing sports.

Jun 23, 2009
Sluggers - Your posts on this thread are full of wisdom and integrity. I don't know where you live, your background or anything but I wonder if you are a coach. If you where from my area I'd like my dd to be a part of your coaching. You are so correct; Life is about the journey and not the destination. We spend much more time "traveling" towards are goals and then when we do reach our goals how many times are we let down because it's not what we thought.

May 25, 2010
My youngest DD is 10 and a good pitcher. I am making sure she doesn't get pigeonholed as a "Pitcher". Though in our town, it seems that if you say you're a pitcher everyone loves you. fortunately she has good skills so she will be ok at other positions.

Same here. Because there are so few of them, pitchers are treated like royalty around here. My kid loves pitching, and while I enjoy watching her play 2B or SS, she loves playing 1B and actually preferred to play catcher when our #2 pitcher was starting.

Nov 29, 2009
I remember reading an interview with Lisa Fernandez. In it she talks about learning how to pitch when she was 15 and how bad she was. Look where she ended up. If the desire is there let her keep trying. Every girl knows when it's time to give it up. If she realizes she'll never be able to reach the goals she set she'll move on. And when she quits it'll be on her terms. That way she knows she has no regrets.

My daughter started pitching early. She excelled at and loved it. She never lost the desire to compete. She received about $80K in scholarship money through her 4 years of college. After she threw her last pitch in college she knew without a doubt at that time she was done. She has not pitched competitively again. Every once in a while she'll ask me to catch for her because she feels like pitching. She's not in playing condition anymore, but she likes to throw once in a while. And to tell you the truth, I still enjoy it after nearly 15 years on my knees.

Over the years my daughter and I have been working a lot of younger girls who are learning how to pitch. What we tell the parents to help them put things into perspective is this. All girls fall basically into 4 categories when it comes to pitching.

The first one is the easiest path most of the time. These are the naturally athletic girls who have the size, desire, strength and natural gifts that allow them to be good pitchers. They learn quickly and have great work ethics.

The second one is the same as the first but lacks the desire to push herself. She does OK, but never reaches her potential. They usually end up injured because of poor mechanics due to lack of practice time.

The third is the girl who has average or slightly above average athletic skills. But she works her backside off and never quits. Through hard work she turns herself into a good pitcher.

The fourth is the girl who has the desire to be a good pitcher but posses none of the athletic gifts needed to be a top pitcher, no matter how hard she works. She'll give you her best effort all the time, but nature has robbed her of the tools she needs to succeed. Most of them figure it out early on their own.

We have never told a girl to quit pitching. As long as they want to try we'll do our best with them. The short answer is let her keep trying if she has the desire. She'll tell you when she's done.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles