Need Advice/Should DD continue playing softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2010
I really need some good advice here on what to do with my daughter. 1st, she is 15, a sophmore in hs, has been playing fastpitch since 9 years old. She tells me she loves the game. She is not one of the gifted athletes. She works hard, hustles and enjoys playing and practicing hard. She does not have good foot speed but hits fairly strong. About 2 1/2 years ago she decided she wanted to be a pitcher so I began pitching lessons. She was the starting Junior Varsity pitcher this year on the high school team but now the JV season is over and they called up 4 players from the JV team but she was not one of them. Should I talk to her and try to get her to focus on something other than playing softball. Maybe she is just not cut out for this and should be doing something else. The pitching lessons are expensive and the pitching coach keeps assuring her and me that she is improving and with her leg strength she will improve. I have always told her that she can do anything she wants as long as she has the desire and heart to do it. She also plays summer travel ball and just seems to love the sport. The last I counted our high school has 7 good pitchers so I'm not for sure if she will ever make varsity. In addition, the reason I posted here is because I wanted to remain annonymous because we live in a small southern community and I wouldn't want to put added pressure on her. We are not from this community and we really have to be careful not to offend anyone here because most all are related or grew up here together. Any advice is appreciated.

Jun 24, 2009
Why would you want her stop something she loves ? Maybe she won't ever be the best on her team but if she loves to play why not just encourage her to be the best SHE can be ? Isn't that one of the greatest lessons she can learn playing school ball ? Letting her figure out if she fits in or not ? Just give her your support and listen to her, her HS years playing ball may be the most memorable of her life.

Jan 20, 2010
I totally agree with Ade's Dad...if she loves playing absolutely nothing else matters. Let her play.

Mar 15, 2010
For once this post is not about my DD rather it is about my son (DS? darling son doesn't sound right, have to think of something else). My son loved basketball from the age of 8. He was not the tallest or fastest kid but he had good ball control and could hit outside shots. He tried out for the school basketball team from 7th - 9th grade and never made the team. He continued to play rec ball and also played on a local club team. At the end of 9th grade he was 14 YO and 5'7". Over the next 6 months he grew nearly 6 inches and by the time basketball tryouts came around in 10th grade he was a notch over 6' 1". He made the JV team and about the seasons mid point he was pulled up to the Varsity team and by the end of the season he was even starting some games. My point is kids at 15 will continue to change, sometimes very quickly. While this year your DD may not be the quickest on the team that can change. Support your DD and encourage her to follow her passion.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
The only reason I can think of to pull a kid from a sport they love is if it is interfering with her grades.

There can only be one best at a time but there are a lot of things a player can be best at and seldom is it all found in one player. That best changes from game to game, season to season and year to year.

Sep 3, 2009
I wouldn't worry about her not pitching HS ball. That will be a good time for her to work and learn other positions which will make her a better, more valuable player. If the only goal is a full ride to a D1 institution, then maybe some soul searching is in order. If on the other hand, she loves the game, then why not continue? It is after all, SUPPOSED to be fun, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Apr 13, 2010
If she loves playing there is no reason to stop. Some kids are harder to read or rebel if their parents are "too" into what they are doing and then it becomes more difficult to read. Sounds like a great kid, let her play.

Apr 19, 2010
Thanks for the replies and this is some good reading. I guess if the majority rules then she should continue to play without my interference and I have to agree but wanted to see others opinions. She does not know rejection and just keeps on playing and learning. I guess we all should be more like this. I will give her my full support and hope for the best. Thanks!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There are really two issues:

(1) Does she continue with softball?
(2) Does she continue with pitching lessons?

(1) As to continuing with softball, it is her decision. It is her time. If she enjoys it, great. As a parent, you may have to make sure she has realistic expectations and understands that she may never start. If she is OK with never being on varsity, then let her play.

The old line, "You can do anything as long as you have the desire and the heart" isn't true. Michael Jordan had incredible athletic talent and the best trainers in the world, yet he couldn't become a professional baseball player in the big leagues.

Does she have other aspirations? Are there other areas of her self that she hasn't explored? Athletics is only one way for a person to express themselves. What else does she do well?

(2) Continuing pitching lessons

The problem with your DD's is that there are kids who might be coming up from 8th grade that will be better than her. Softball pitchers don't work on a seniority system. Whoever is the best gets to pitch. I've seen kids who worked their rears off for two on JV never get to pitch varsity because of a freshman phenom.

Every dollar you spend on pitching lessons is one less you have to spend elsewhere. I would be looking for something else for her to spend her time and energy on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad