need advice for next year

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
Mississippi
Looking for advice on if daughter should continue playing on the team she is on or at all. She just started travel ball this year with a team that just started. One question is do I remain loyal to this team which has provided her with the chance to play and improve or look for another team. In all honestly she is not a star but is a good player who IMO could be a solid player for the team next year. What questions should I be asking myself about her and the team?

Feb 9, 2009
Looking for advice on if daughter should continue playing on the team she is on or at all. She just started travel ball this year with a team that just started. One question is do I remain loyal to this team which has provided her with the chance to play and improve or look for another team. In all honestly she is not a star but is a good player who IMO could be a solid player for the team next year. What questions should I be asking myself about her and the team?

#1: Is she REALLY as good as I think she is? She is on a team that gives her playing time, but you may want to move her...What will you do if she's a bench warmer on the new team?

#2: Why am I REALLY considering moving her? ....because you haven't really said why...

Jun 21, 2010
Mississippi
She is in 10U. Short term we<me and her> want her to enjoy the game and became a better player. Long term I would like her to play high school and college level. Not sure that at her age long term is in her thinking other than after watching CWS she wanted to play on TV.

Feb 9, 2009
You should talk to her about it. Is she happy playing on the team? Does she feel like she's learning a lot of new skills? Would she want to try out for a more competitive team, with the risk of sitting on the bench initially, or is she enjoying getting the playing time?
At 10U, they have a pretty good idea about what they want. They also have a pretty good idea about how they stack up to other girls their age. Don't sell her short.
I know every girl on my 10U team, and whether or not HS only is in their sights, or HS AND college...let her tell you what she wants. She has a good idea already..

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
As a parent, you are on a slippery slope. If all/most of the girls are the same age (1999)
keep them together if she plays alot and the coaching is good while developing her individually
as well as collectively improving the team. If she moves to a better team and does not play, generally
speaking, you will not have the opportunity to go back to her current team. THE GRASS IS NOT
ALWAYS GREENER! Do a careful evaluation of her current team based on their tournament performance as
well as the amount of smiles at practices and games. I see lots of coaches who do a fair amount
of screaming at players, I have yet to figure out how this technique is productive. I have 8 out of 11 who are moving up
together next year, and we are thrilled

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
It is your responsibility to have your DD play for the best team she is capable of being accepted on, and have her recieve the best instruction you think she can. No one has hard feelings about leaving. Everyone must do what is right for them. I promise you that NO ONE is looking out for her best interests besides YOU.

May 25, 2010
Just from what you've said, there's no apparent reason to suspect she's not in a good situation already, but only your family can say, for sure.

Are you in an area that has several team options available? Just as it doesn't sound like she's being held back, there is also no harm at all in shopping around. The team that's the best fit for your daughter and family could be waiting for your call...

Oct 18, 2009
It is your responsibility to have your DD play for the best team she is capable of being accepted on, and have her recieve the best instruction you think she can. No one has hard feelings about leaving. Everyone must do what is right for them. I promise you that NO ONE is looking out for her best interests besides YOU.

What mudbug said.

Just remember... the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Just to append my earlier post, my dd was on a team in 2009 that had a lot of fun but did
its fair share of losing. In the fall they finally started to learn how to play hard for an entire weekend
and got 2nd place in the last tournament of the fall. This year 7 girls returned from that team
and we made the semi finals in out first 2 tournaments and won the 3rd. Last week we were upset
in the semifinals by a very good 'scrappy' team. At the post game meeting, there were tears and our
captain spoke up and said "I hate losing...................." made the girls feel better, but the point is, this
team has transformed from a bunch of girls having fun to a team to be reckoned with. 3 girls left after
last summer to a 'winning' program that partially imploded, losing several good players and now cannot
get a single win during elimination. This is the reason you must be diligent in making your choices

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00