need advice for next year

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2009
For me it comes down to one question: what is she going to remember from her time playing softball? Is she going to remember her record with a certain team or will she remember the team she had the best time with.

I would assume every parent faces this at some point. My .02 is that as long as she is getting the playing time at this point and I'm investing the time and energy to work with her outside of regular practices she's fine on a non competitive team. She knows at some point her skills may dictate she moves teams but I figure we'll know it when that is the case.

Our 13 yo dd started playing rec a few years ago (not nearly as many as most girls her age). She adored her rec coach - he was absolutely fantastic. However, the level of competition wasn't there and, although having fun, not really learning a lot. In the fall, she wanted to move to a competitive team. She only tried out for one - someone from our area is big in the organization and had friend on that team. It was an absolute DISASTER not only for her, but for us as parents. Last tournament of season - the organization was hosting it. Coach pulled in a player from another area (non-competitive, just a big ol' girl). Played her over our dd the ENTIRE weekend. Was the girl better? At some things, yes, but at others, no. Had another girl from another competitive team subbing in, as well. So, two "team" girls rode the bench all weekend while the other two "guest" players got field time. DD came up to us before the last game in tears, saying she was ready to go home - that she'd done all the coach asked of her and didn't understand why she wasn't playing. What do you say to that? My husband had a heated discussion with the coach and, needless to say, she is no longer a part of that organization (which I have heard, is having troubles). I really hate it for her. She has played on a 16u rec team this season and is fixing to start school ball up again. She has had a marvelous time playing with this group of girls and the coaches are SOOOO nice. However, she misses the level of play where everyone is dedicated and as into it as she is.

We thought the grass was greener...needless to say, it was just freshly laid sod that didn't get watered properly! :(

Jun 28, 2010
dear mom, i understand your frustration. i have allowed my daughter to remain on her current travel team for 5 years and although she has grown as a player because of the playing time she gets with this team, she is no longer happy losing games every time out. she goes out and plays hard and gives more than a 100% each time and the rest of the team doesn't seem to want it as much. she is the one veteran of this team because all of the other players got smart and went to other teams and are now not only getting the playing time but are being seen by college coaches and getting recruited. my advice to you, if you believe your daughter has the potential to be a great player, move on. find a team with coaches who will teach the game as well as coach the girls through great games and wins.

Jun 21, 2010
Mississippi
Thanks everybody for your advice. We have stayed with same team and placed 2nd in state tourney.(Utrip) Now hope we do not have too many lookingfor greener grass and can be competitive all next year.

Dec 28, 2008
Travel ball is as tough on families as it is on the players themselves. You need to be in an environment where the practices and conditions are doable by the entire family. If she is getting good instruction, learning, still enjoys the game, doesn't have a coach that goes balistic, doesn't have players on the team that berate each other, you enjoy the families then she's in a perfect spot for your family.

If it ever becomes obvious that she isn't growing as a player, comes home crying alot because of things coaches/players are saying/doing, fights you about going to practices/games then it's time to look for something new.

Jul 12, 2010
To leave or not..

Travel ball is as tough on families as it is on the players themselves. You need to be in an environment where the practices and conditions are doable by the entire family. If she is getting good instruction, learning, still enjoys the game, doesn't have a coach that goes balistic, doesn't have players on the team that berate each other, you enjoy the families then she's in a perfect spot for your family.

If it ever becomes obvious that she isn't growing as a player, comes home crying alot because of things coaches/players are saying/doing, fights you about going to practices/games then it's time to look for something new.

Whats happens when u leave your local travel team for one outside of your school district. Should u expect retaliation from the schools jv/varsity teams. coaches are related. My daughter wants a more competive experience but by changing teams we are worried about fairness with jv/varsity team.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Whats happens when u leave your local travel team for one outside of your school district. Should u expect retaliation from the schools jv/varsity teams. coaches are related. My daughter wants a more competive experience but by changing teams we are worried about fairness with jv/varsity team.

It's just me, but I would guess that almost every HS coach would actually like all the HS players on the team to be playing Gold somewhere. I know it wouldn't matter to me if players were competing against the best during the Summer...

I have a girl on my current team that is from a neighboring town and is getting flak from the other players. However we have played about 50 games, while the other team has played about 8. I'm sure the coaches there might not be happy now because she isn't playing with them, but next year when school ball starts I believe they will get over it.

Jun 16, 2010
It's just me, but I would guess that almost every HS coach would actually like all the HS players on the team to be playing Gold somewhere. I know it wouldn't matter to me if players were competing against the best during the Summer...

I have a girl on my current team that is from a neighboring town and is getting flak from the other players. However we have played about 50 games, while the other team has played about 8. I'm sure the coaches there might not be happy now because she isn't playing with them, but next year when school ball starts I believe they will get over it.

One might think so. And in some cases you would be correct. But in others, lesser coaches can be intimidated by travel ball players, and especially travel ball coaches and what they teach the girls. .

Jul 24, 2010
My take is: How's the skill level of the coaching? Do they really instruct the girls in techinques, or do they hit balls and compose lineups.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414