Need a new catchers mitt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2014
I need to get my DD a new catchers mitt and I am having trouble finding much to choose from at the local sporting goods stores. I live in Burlington, NC and was wandering if anyone had any input on where I might could go that would offer a variety of gloves that my DD could try on? My DD is small and has small hands so I would rather her try some on to check the fit. She has been using a Louisville Catalyst cat203 for the last 2 years and it has been fine. She is 14 and is playing HS ball and playing TB. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Oct 10, 2011
vinci

We bought a Vinci from Casedawg a couple weeks ago. Great mitt... takes awhile to break in so be prepared to put in some work.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
We bought a Vinci from Casedawg a couple weeks ago. Great mitt... takes awhile to break in so be prepared to put in some work.

I also bought a mitt from Casedawg back in December. A JCV-22 thats gets used 4 to 6 days a week and has been since the first
week of Jan. It's about another couple of weeks away from being perfect ! Our 12U catcher and back up catcher love that mitt.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm not sure what our model number is...it's a 34" though.

I believe that would be a JCV-VM.

mdrake - If you need something immediately, the best option is go to your local stores and try everything you can until you find something she likes. In my area, the best source of new FP catcher's gear is Play-It-Again Sports.

If you have a little time to wait (shipping and break-in), I will add my vote to the list of Vinci supporters. My 9yo DD has a JCV-22 on the way from casedawg right now.

Jun 21, 2010
As much as I'd love to endorse the members on this board, buying and using a catcher mitt requires more than a familiar name ( no offense ). I'd suggest buying several mitts from an online retailer that has a great return policy, and one from Vinci's if they will allow you to return it.

DD did this several years ago but didn't have the Vinci option back then. We bought three mitts from ballglovewarehouse.com. She picked the one she liked the best and we sent the other's back. ballglovewarehouse.com paid for the return postage. DD was 11 when we did this.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As much as I'd love to endorse the members on this board, buying and using a catcher mitt requires more than a familiar name ( no offense ). I'd suggest buying several mitts from an online retailer that has a great return policy, and one from Vinci's if they will allow you to return it.

DD did this several years ago but didn't have the Vinci option back then. We bought three mitts from ballglovewarehouse.com. She picked the one she liked the best and we sent the other's back. ballglovewarehouse.com paid for the return postage. DD was 11 when we did this.

I don't disagree with your position on this.

For me, there was enough positive feed back - in fact, 100% positive feedback - about the Vinci mitts that I felt comfortable taking the leap of faith. Not once have I seen a comment where someone didn't love their Vinci. The ONLY negative thing ever said is related to break-in time, but if you know that going in, it's a non-issue.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I also don't disagree with this option, have her try as many as possible. Here is the reason I'm so sold on Vinci and my DD is a pitcher, not a catcher. It's the padding !! I personally use a Mizuno GXS92. It's a $60.00 very popular mitt that I see at tournaments EVERY weekend. While catching my DD, sometimes I'll catch one in the palm or directly on my thumb and get a pretty good stinger. My catcher on our 12U travel team says she has never ever had a stinger with her Vinci yet ! I love being a bucket dad and catching my
DD and I also love that $60.00 mitt I use but that Vinci is a better mitt in every way. The only other mitt that I have personally seen
that I said I would buy is a Mizuno Classic GXS33 and it's a nice mitt but it's $189.00 most everywhere online vs. the $140.00 I paid
the the Vinci. No brainer to me. BTW, it's the padding that makes Vinci's so stiff and hard to break in, not the leather.

Jun 21, 2010
The other thing about trying other mitts is how they fit different hands. I have a Nokona Buckaroo that fits different than DD's Mizuno--might be the GXS33--( got it on ebay used for less than $90 but checked and it was $190 new ). The Nokona spreads my thumb too far from my hand and I would get a jammed thumb. Or my thumb would get pulled back. That doesn't happen with the Mizuno. Even DD said the same thing.

I would love to see and try a Vinci. You guys are right. Nothing but positive things said about the mitt. Interestingly, I haven't seen a Vinci yet at the fields, but plenty of Mizunos. Lot of Nokonas at college games.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi