NCAA softball is toast!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 6, 2013
In speaking with several college coaches, the sentiment I get is that there will be some cuts for 2020-2021 and the 2021 HS class will be the least recruited class in history. Other than that, the show will go on. As for changing the model for travel clubs, unfortunately, the parents will dictate how much tournament directors make, stay-n-play, etc. What I see is that parents continue to be willing to max their credit cards and mortgage their houses to make sure little Suzy plays ball. Covid hasn't changed that a bit. These parents are willing to completely ignore social distancing if they can play. Look at the tournament sign-ups in Oklahoma for May 15. Until that changes, batter up.

Jan 30, 2020
Let's face it. Football, WITH FANS, isn't going to happen this year. Without those $, non rev women's sports like softball will be the first to go. Going forward, Softball will be club level in college. No scholarships and no recruiters. 😐 Our new reality.
What does this mean? Showcase and national tournaments will be a complete waste of money and "stay to play" is dead in the water.
Your club team is not going to be around next year so striving for HS state championships by competing year round with classmates, like football, will be the new norm.
This may be better in the long run because the club softball model was out of control, a money grab from top to bottom.
Let’s not press the ejector seat just yet! States with governors that are willing to tank college sports until 2021 will be in trouble, but to say college softball is going to go by the waste side is ridiculous. At least in the Power 5 conferences, softball is a money maker for most schools.
I will agree that some travel teams are nothing but money grabs - IF you play for a low level team with no name recognition, attracting zero college coaches to their showcases and tournaments. The best thing to do for your daughter, if you think she is good enough and has the grades for a scholarship, is put her in a good organization with - good coaching, name recognition and connections with college coaches, put her out there with an NCSA profile if you need to, try out for the On Deck showcases and be realistic and willing to accept her possibly playing for someone outside the Power 5.
Not every player is good enough to play for them and not all Power 5 schools are good fits for many girls.

Feb 3, 2011
There's no real value in the "race to be right". Have a plan, have a backup plan, and then have a backup for your backup plan. Oh, and be ready when your number is called.

I only know what I know - several colleges and universities have announced online/remote courses for the fall. When CSU Fullerton announced, it's my humble opinion that not having a football program made the decision much easier for them that it would be for schools who rely on football revenue.

Mar 20, 2019
Softball will be fine, it get exposure at a time when there is not much else going on college sports wise. Also to be a division 1-A program you have to field a minimum of 14 men's and women's teams. (7&7 or 6 men's and 8 women's)

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00