NCAA softball is toast!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
The Almighty Florida Gator program can do what it wants!!
Chomp chomp 🙂

Look, if a sport can't put asses in seats going forward, good chance they're getting cut. The trickle down will reduce or eliminate the other revenue Olympic sports (politically correct for non revenue sports like softball) depend on to exist. And speaking of Olympic athletes, the overwhelming number who are/were NCAA affiliated, is in peril as well.

Is what it is, change is here. But I really think softball (youth club level) can reset, and implement changes that benefit the girls, their high schools, and the expense involved to play - which, let's face it, has priced out a LOT of athletes. This is great news! Currently? The only families that can afford what it takes to PGF around, are the ones that don't need that 21% scholarship plus books.
I mean.... This might be the best thing to happen to Fastpitch. Change was needed. Now it's here by force.

Let's play ball!
Lol...I have to agree on that one it is almost comical the way some parents say they are in it for the scholarship for their kids...if you look at what parents have spent for elite players you could have probably funded a 4 year in state university for what they paid in. If you are in it just for the scholarship put the money in a college fund..the ROI is much better...now time spent with your kids and the memories made those are priceless...

Feb 20, 2020
The Almighty Florida Gator program can do what it wants!!
Chomp chomp 🙂

Look, if a sport can't put asses in seats going forward, good chance they're getting cut. The trickle down will reduce or eliminate the other revenue Olympic sports (politically correct for non revenue sports like softball) depend on to exist. And speaking of Olympic athletes, the overwhelming number who are/were NCAA affiliated, is in peril as well.

Is what it is, change is here. But I really think softball (youth club level) can reset, and implement changes that benefit the girls, their high schools, and the expense involved to play - which, let's face it, has priced out a LOT of athletes. This is great news! Currently? The only families that can afford what it takes to PGF around, are the ones that don't need that 21% scholarship plus books.
I mean.... This might be the best thing to happen to Fastpitch. Change was needed. Now it's here by force.

Let's play ball!

While I appreciate the Gator plug, you're overlooking Title IX. You have to have the same number of scholarship opportunities for female athletes as you do for men. If the basketballs are a wash, then you have a lot of women's sports just trying to match the 85 full-ride schollys football gets.

Of those women's sports, softball, gymnastics and volleyball generate the most revenue. Even if the revenue isn't positive, it's revenue nonetheless. So you ,ay see a lot of men's sports cut this year -- even more than there have been -- but unless someone repeals Title IX, NCAA softball is safe at schools that have a full football program with full scholarships.

As for D2 and D3, I don't know. But since football usually isn't revenue positive for them, I don't think losing would be a factor in the decisiont o retain other sports.

While you've described your situation in other posts and I'm sympathetic, it is far too soon to make projections as to what the fall will look like in regards to mass gatherings. Social distancing isn't law, nor will it be. Right now it's a choice -- a crucial one, perhaps, but a choice. And we as a country are a month into it, and along with the massive human toll, it's also taking societal and economic tolls. I don't know that it's a give than anyone -- from politicians to leaders to the guy on the street -- is going to be willing to continue to pay that price in perpetuity. Or even for another month. Domestic violence is on the rise. Suicides are creeping up. And while your wife's situation is tragic and she's heroic fo diving into it. the vast vast majority of people in this country are unaffected by the virus itself. If that continues to be the case into May, there's no way the distancing guidelines or gathering prohibitions will last.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
This is an interesting conversation/debate, fueled by hope, fear, and uncertainty, but very little fact. No judgment...we are all just giving voice to our thoughts. What short or long term impact this will have remains to be seen, but I think we need to be prepared for some level of impact for the '21 college season. My daughter will be a senior, and her coach (very well funded D3 school) has told them that current discussions within the school/conference involve planning for shortened season (conference games only), no travel, etc. Nothing close to being finalized yet, obviously.

May 16, 2016
Ratings for the WCWS is equivalent to Baseball's championship series, and well ahead of the other sports (ie, not Football or Basketball). This is where the revenue is coming from. Men's volley ball might be in jeopardy... but Softball is not going anywhere.

1587581198198.png

Feb 4, 2020
Lol Revenue..... with expenses not factored in, means nothing in this context.
Mississippi State...🤣

What’s funny about Mississippi State generating revenue in Softball? One of the most profitable baseball programs in the entire country lends to a lot of support in Softball as well, not to mention the entire athletic program that has actually operated in the black for most of the last decade. Another point you didn’t research in this thread

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
tenor.gif
However, with sour dough toast just butter is fine....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00