NCAA rules question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2010
Was talking with a parent at Scenic City last month who was telling me that a certain organization gets sponsorships to cover all player fees including travel expense. Basically he was saying that none of the players / parents had to pay any fees to play with the team and went further to state that a particular pitcher's family was given 20k upfront to cover travel expense.

My BS detector was pegging the needle at this point but my first thought was that it would be a problem with the NCAA. Can anyone who knows more than me explain the legalities of this policy?

Mar 26, 2013
Actual and necessary expenses for the player only can be covered. Fronting $20k could be problematic if its use isn't documented and any excess isn't returned. NCAA also established a $300 threshold before it affects a player's eligibility to avoid penny-ante violations.

12.02.2 Actual and Necessary Expenses. Actual and necessary expenses are limited to: (Adopted: 1/19/13 effective 8/1/13)
(a) Meals;
(b) Lodging;
(c) Apparel, equipment and supplies;
(d) Coaching and instruction;
(e) Health/medical insurance;
(f ) Transportation (expenses to and from practice and competition, cost of transportation from home to training/practice site at the beginning of the season/preparation for an event and from training/practice/event site to home at the end of season/event);
(g) Medical treatment and physical therapy;
(h) Facility usage;
(i) Entry fees; and
(j) Other reasonable expenses.
12.02.2.1 Application. Unless otherwise permitted by the NCAA constitution or bylaws, actual and necessary expenses may be provided only if such expenses are for competition on a team or in a specific event or for practice that is directly related to such competition. The value of such expenses must be commensurate with the fair market value of similar goods and services in the locality in which the expenses are provided and must not be excessive in nature. Actual and necessary expenses shall not include the expenses or fees of anyone other than the individual who participates as a member of the team or in a specific event. (Adopted: 1/19/13 effective 8/1/13)

12.02.5 Limited Benefit—Prior to Initial Full-Time Enrollment at an NCAA Institution—Expenses from a Permissible Source. Prior to initial full-time enrollment at an NCAA institution, if an individual receives expenses from a permissible source (e.g., event sponsor, club team) that exceed his or her actual and necessary expenses by $300 or less, the eligibility of the individual shall not be affected. (Adopted: 1/19/13 effective 8/1/13)

Mar 26, 2013
Does it make a difference if this policy isn't applied the same to every player within the confines of a team?
Not to NCAA - they only care about the source of the money and that it doesn't exceed actual and necessary expenses for the player. It may make a difference to some other people on the team if they find out...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd