NCAA Div I Tournament Challenge

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
The first round sure when right to form. Two games left to play, but the seeded teams have all advanced so far. Texas and Tennessee had to battle, ULL put a scare into Ole Miss and JMU still has a shot against Michigan, but generally the favorites all played well. I don't see many more upsets in the supers.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Texas came out very flat, but finished strong. I'm bummed that ULL didn't advance. Still hoping for a Georgia surprise.

EDIT: So much for Georgia... :(

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
OU looks to have brought out their "tournament bats" again..either that or the Big 12 pitching is really lousy.

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
Rooting for JMU in that game.

I thought Washington and Florida looked the best in this round. Florida allowed 0 runs and Washington 1 run in their three games. Pitching and defense win championships.

Mar 26, 2016
I hate the way they seeded Minn, wished Drake would of went somewhere else. I get the ratings continue to increase, but would really love to see some upsets and new teams in supers. I guess 3 Big Ten teams hosting is a start though.

I think the upsets is what pushes the ratings through the roof for March Madness.

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
Upsets are hard to come by for a few reasons, but the biggest is that the pool of quality programs is really not that deep. The chance that say the 22nd ranked team could beat the 7th ranked team twice is quite low. The host teams advance out of the regionals around 90% of the time and out of supers about 75% of the time. At least that is what I heard one of the broadcast teams saying. Those numbers could be as real as a hoppy riseball or a curve with late, sharp break, but they sure look pretty close to me.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Upsets are hard to come by for a few reasons, but the biggest is that the pool of quality programs is really not that deep. The chance that say the 22nd ranked team could beat the 7th ranked team twice is quite low. The host teams advance out of the regionals around 90% of the time and out of supers about 75% of the time. At least that is what I heard one of the broadcast teams saying. Those numbers could be as real as a hoppy riseball or a curve with late, sharp break, but they sure look pretty close to me.

Well yeah.. you give the highest seed team home field advantage, you pick some of the highest seed regionals by 'who finished around .500 in the SEC', then give them the easier first game and demand that a team with less pitching depth beat you 2 times on Sunday when their limited depth is beaten down and tired.

The odds are highly stacked against everyone else - JMU goes 50-8, has lots of wins against many teams in the tournament including Michigan who they are playing and can't get a home regional?

Or a couple of years ago when FAU and USF had the pitching - but 'travel' meant they also got dumped in with Florida or FSU every year...

And of course you are right - these other programs are just not as deep. Deep enough often get one win, and often the #1 pitcher and top 4-5 players are good enough - it is the 6-12 players and the #2 & #3 pitchers that are just not quite at the level of the same at the bigger programs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00