ESPN / USA 2015 Pre-Season Poll

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
What the announcers said were true - Wallace's issue had much more to do with her head than injury. She started out the season healthy and just couldn't hit the strike zone, hitting batters instead. Can't blame injury on that. Her ball had very little spin and she just wasn't getting people out. However, she did suffer a back injury pretty early on in the season (UL-Lafayette pitching rotation has new look | Sports | The Advocate — Baton Rouge, Louisiana) that definitely didn't help her get back on track.

I've watched Wallace pitch for 3+ years now and you can almost tell within her first two batters if she has it or not. And last weekend vs. NC State, she DEFINITELY had it. Laser-focused, attacking batters. We had to roll with Hamilton almost exclusively during the postseason last year. If Wallace pitches like she can, we will be extremely dangerous in the postseason with that combo. Plus newcomers Alex Stewart (So.) and Kylee Jo Trahan (Fr.) looked impressive as well and should be able to chew up some innings. And that's not even counting Victoria Brown, who is currently hurt, and operated as our #2 pitcher for the most part of last year.

And we appreciate any rooting you can give us! ;-) Geaux Cajuns!

I know of a couple of players on that roster (which is HUGE btw...36 players!!) - one specifically - an incoming Freshman...Miranda Grotenhuis. I don't know how much playing time she will see this year, but she had a rough summer. Her father passed away unexpectedly. He was a big softball guy around here...a TB coach (pre-HS aged) and a HS coach (Atascocita)...he was her HS coach too. Anyway, his passing hit the local softball community hard. I think of her often and pray that she is healing from her loss. Our HS was in same district as Atascocita last year...but that changed this year. Praying they heal as well too.

Hope to see her play on the big screen, but probably not likely with such a big roster.

Feb 12, 2015
I know of a couple of players on that roster (which is HUGE btw...36 players!!) - one specifically - an incoming Freshman...Miranda Grotenhuis. I don't know how much playing time she will see this year, but she had a rough summer. Her father passed away unexpectedly. He was a big softball guy around here...a TB coach (pre-HS aged) and a HS coach (Atascocita)...he was her HS coach too. Anyway, his passing hit the local softball community hard. I think of her often and pray that she is healing from her loss. Our HS was in same district as Atascocita last year...but that changed this year. Praying they heal as well too.

Hope to see her play on the big screen, but probably not likely with such a big roster.

I haven't heard much about Miranda, to be honest. I can't speak to how much PT she will get, but I simply cannot see her taking much away from the current Cajun infield, as its stacked with talent. Walsh has been a staple at third and has a cannon for an arm. The SS last year, Voinche, is currently hurt, but playing in her place is freshman D.J. Sanders, who was selected to Team USA last month - so not much dropoff there. The 2B, Haley Hayden is probably the team's best all around player and isn't going anywhere. And the 1B Kelsey Vincent is off to a great start this season.

There will be some games in the Sun Belt where the score gets out of hand and Coach Lotief is good at getting different people PT, so I hope to see her out there.

By the way, I used to live in Atascocita.

Feb 12, 2015
Oh wow - cool!

For some reason I thought that Hamilton was a senior last year.

Now on Wallace - I was originally hugely impressed with her pitching. Then last year the announcers said that Wallace was suffering mostly in her head than anything else. I guess yer saying that's not true....? Since you appear to know more about UL than the announcers (no shock), can you disclose what type of injury she was afflicted with last year?

Well anyways - I will be rooting for this unique team from afar once again this year :)

She was a senior last year (academic) but had one more year of eligibility due to a redshirt year. She chose to play rather than move on.

Feb 12, 2015

Grotenhuis is in the mix to dh. Sara Corbello has first crack, didn't bring it in the first weekend, so Meagan Thomas (senior) is getting next crack. Mike will vary the lineup over the next three weekends until conference season starts.

Sep 11, 2009
That's great! I grew up in a small town outside of Oxford. We'll be making a few trips to see the Lady Rebs play this year.

The Rebels have their first home games of the season next weekend in their 'Red and Blue Classic' tournament. Lot's of softball at the Ole Miss softball complex all weekend (weather permitting :)). We'll be driving down from St. Louis on Friday to catch their home opener against UT Martin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00