Name a postion player in any sport that takes as much time, effort, and decication...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
My DD asked if I could think of another position player in any other sport that takes as much practice as a fast-pitch pitcher. Possibly a hint she needs a break... One could argue that there are others that practice as much, so I am slightly re-wording her question to be:

Name a position player in any sport that takes as much time, effort, dedication, and practice at such an early age, as a fast-pitch softball pitcher?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2009
What comes to mind right away is event sports...

* Gymnastics
* Swimming
* Golf
* Diving?

No, these sports aren't quite the same as SB, but I'd say becoming better than your competitors requires a LOT of practice too.

they say hardest thing in sports is hitting. Dedicated hitters take close to 100 swings off the tee a day.
Personally i continue to work on my golf game.... many types of shots to perfect. Similar with pitchers, were always tweeking something n never saticfied.

Jul 26, 2010
Tell your daughter that if she loved the sport, it wouldn't feel like practice.

People who are passionate about what they do will often spend inordinate amounts of time at their craft. There are certainly some (perhaps moreso in this age of crazy parents) that hate what they do, and do it out of love, fear, or responsibility to a parent, but many simply love what they're doing and couldn't think of a better way to spend their time. This could be sports, art, music, ect.

Ask any video game addict how much time they spend at their "hobby", and then tell your daughter that if she practiced half as often as the video gamer practices, she'll be pitching in the world series in no time.

-W

Jan 18, 2011
The first thing to come to my mind was Michael Jordan. He would spend hours a day shooting basketballs, he would shoot 100 foul shots a day. Look where that took him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA