My DD injury

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
My DD is a college freshman and a pitcher. She just got her MRI and it appears that this is what is the problem.

Ulnar collateral ligament injury - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

She has never complained about elbow problems throughout her pitching career. During the fall training is when she started to experience this elbow pain. Her trainers say that this is a recurring problem but I believe it happened from overuse in the fall. Does anyone have any experience with this injury?
They have her on physical therapy right now.

Needless to say she is extremely bummed about not being able to pitch right now.

Dec 19, 2012
Is the ulnar collateral ligament completely ruptured, deteriorating, or simply sprained? If it's ruptured she will require surgery, commonly known as Tommy John surgery. What's weird is that it is a common injury for an overhand throw, not so much an underhand throw.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
What we were told .....There are small tears healing with scar tissue forming.

With regards to the overhand throw, my DD has a very powerful overhand. She could have been a shortstop or a catcher. I wonder if overhand throwing was the cause of the injury?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
My nephew had Tommy Johns surgery last June. He had a list of schools looking at him. The game before the playoffs in HS, he felt it pop. He end up still going to a college for baseball, but was red shirted and lost out on money for school and this college wasn't his first pick. He is allowed to throw now and is on a rehab program. He went to a really good surgeon in Cincinnati Ohio. I guess the surgeon, takes care of the Reds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi